Thread: Young composer looking to collaborate

Default Young composer looking to collaborate

Hi everyone,

I am an Austrian composer / producer currently in my final year doing a BA in Music Production at Leeds College of Music. Seeing as my second big passion besides music is film, it seemed only natural to me to combine the two get into film scoring. I have a special interest in art-house / independent films, some of my favourite directors including Werner Herzog, Francois Truffaut, Lars von Trier & the entire Dogme95 movement as well as Michael Haneke, to only name a few.

Since I am only getting started I would be happy to collaborate on as many projects as possible, be they short films, documentaries, animations or anything related. I have a vast array of sound libraries and musical equipment at my disposal as well as relationships with musicians from across a variety of genres, enabling me to provide suitable soundtracks in almost any style required, be it traditional orchestral or electronic music or simply a pop/rock tune.

What I think sets me apart from other composers is that rather than just trying to compose a good sounding piece of orchestral music, I try to get into the mind of the director. I believe that more often than not it is not the purpose of film music to re-emphasise what’s already being shown on the screen, but rather to reveal subtle emotions and hidden meaning. This is where my cineaste side comes in handy.

Some examples of my previous work:

"The Ultimate Challenger" - Trailer

Music for E-Sports promotional video

Film score examples

Songwriting / Production examples

If you are interested in collaborating or just want to have a chat please do not hesitate to get in touch either on this forum or via e-mail: Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Last edited by Kierkegaard; 10-20-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Nice work and a good offer.

Helsinki, Finland

If you have come across filmmakers on Youtube/Vimeo/etc whose work you like, it's not a bad idea to contact them directly and suggest collaboration. That way they already know that you have seen their work and consider it good enough for your music. Not too long ago I was approached by a composer who had come across my Youtube channel and came up with similiar offering you have here. Having real composer on film is not something that most amateur filmmakers have, so I accepted his suggestion and I'm now working on my second collaboration with him.

I hope you find projects to work on!

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. A long-lasting collaboration with a director whose work I like and can relate to would obviously be fantastic. I'll be on the lookout.

London, England

It must seem like an insurmountable problem for the most gifted Musician (getting into Videos), so I would suggest you put together some tracks of 15s 30s 60s and maybe 120s - these should cover several styles - or you could use the genres of films shown last year. If these are Royalty-free that should make them attractive.
    Whilst these might not win an Oscar, it would help to make a wider portfolio. These tracks should be available in mp3 (say) on-line and perhaps in CD-quality for sale (although it might be handy if you can get many-more tracks together on a DVD, with a Word-Pad document which lists the Terms and Contents.)..... however, for many non-pro purposes mp3 is sufficient.

Whilst the Royalty-free tacks will be used in many Student/amateur films, it is likely that there would be some Commissions as these same folks become more ambitious. Also, if some Students' films are shown publically, your by-line will gain publicity.

Personally I like music to support a film, so I don't want it overpowering and I'm not at all keen on what might be considered classical stuff with a beat-band. There are many good tunes written by the classic Greats, but few are performed specifically for filmmakers - so that might be another area to pursue. For your own compositions you need not add voice/songs as this almost always demands attention, making it a distraction for a movie (er, unless that just happens to be folk singing in the film). Obviously this a personal view, but it is easy enough to ADD to a track - and very difficult to remove.

Good luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-10-2013 at 01:21 AM.