Thread: Another bunch of takes from Brazil. A bit of this and that!

Default Another bunch of takes from Brazil. A bit of this and that!

Well, another one from last trips to Ubatuba, Paraty (the old colonial town) and Garopaba (south of Brazil)...

The only idea behind the editing was getting from morning to night. The takes are a bit on "random" order, as I mixed 3 places. But they are all by the sea, of course.

Is the shot at 0:23 deliberately at an angle ? and the shot at 1:28 tips the other way. I don't think you quite got the angle right for the shot at 1:43, I would have gotten a little closer to the wall and framed it from there. The shot of the two boats should have a little space at the front and I think they are shot too much from side on. The shot at around 2:05 would have worked better for me if the birds where more out of focus ie shooting with your iris open more for a shallower depth of field.

The shot at around 2:28 would have been great if the camera kept still and the boat had move out of shot but you seemed half heartedly followed it and then gave up. The shat at 2:39, hmmm this is a little problematic, as the sky is a bit flat I would have put the camera as low as it would go and framed the horizon on the top third. The same with the following shot of the bikes on the beach and some others. The shot at 3:08 would have been really great in stead of just good if you hadn't been framed so half & half.

Good thinking with the transition at 4:18 but it would have been spectacular if you had kept the camera there from the lighter shot to the night shot.

Standout shot for me was at 4:24. Great music choice. Lots of really beautiful scenery. You managed a narrative of morning to night so well done for that.

Really nice piece Tony.

Thanks for all the observations MB!!! Let me see....

0:23 X 1:28 tilts.... yeah, I see that.... Maybe a tripod mistake, although I waste a lot of time checking the bubles!? Maybe some sort of distortion or visual effect from the walls?? I took the shots from one sidewalk towards the other side of the street... Not sure if I paid attention to alignment to the wall though... Good points to remember next times.

Two boats at 1:54 I presume.... Yes, neither are very good shots. Missed front space (Tim told me about that 6 months ago and I still miss it sometimes....). Didnt have a way to move sideways, I was in a L shaped wharf....and the water was salty I guess!! It was backwards or waterwards!! heheeheh

Wife calling me to leave home.... Posting this and editing back in a few hours....

OK, back home now... 19:38pm of a busy Sunday! Music Festival here, so i HAD to attend!!! heheheeheh Dam, on the editing mode I miss the main window. Ill start another reply...
    Last edited by TonyBR; 10-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Ha Ha, another video widow. Keep her happy Tony she make all this possible.

I'm looking at this without knowing all the problems you had during the shoot. I'm looking with fresh eyes from the comfort of my computer at home, so it's easy for me to say after the fact. I'd probably do all the things you are did if I was there. I know all the excuses because I've used them all, many times. The hard thing to do is to tell yourself, if you didn't really get the shot leave it out of the edit. This piece is well long enough to loose quite a bit of footage.

Once we've got the framing sorted out we'll move on to the next stage.

OK, on this "new reply" window I can read your comments and watch the movie at the same time:

2:28 boat shot.... This take is about 5 minutes long, from the guys starting to put the rollers under the boat to the guy starting thye engine by hand (with that L shped piece that I dont know the name in English - manivela in portuguese though!) Its a beautiful shot, but too long to use in this compilation...

2:39 and others for a lower position.... Hey MB, Im an OLD man!!!! If I reach the floor to set a camera Ill need a team of 5 to carry me back home (or the hospital, probably!)! Nah, just lazyness I guess, but Ill keep that in mind too. Lower shots! Why not??

Thanks a LOT MB..... I really like when you guys find what I cant see yet! Beautiful places are no garantee of beautiful shots! I know that! Better now again....

Footage??? Gee, there is so much left that I cant even think about going back to them!!!