Thread: First attempt at a Documentary?

Default First attempt at a Documentary?

A fellow member inspired me to share my 1st attempt at a documentary type of video. I was hired to film a band's set (at 16:04 and the only band in the video we filmed using our 4 camera, live performance set-up) who were playing a local annual heavy metal festival during it's 6th and biggest year. On the way there I decided to make a documentary. No planning, no storyboard. This is the end result...

For me this video is such a mixed bag. I like the rawness, the ethos of the event etc. it's seems like it was born from in organic way in the true original tradition of festivals like Glastonbury in the UK. (If you are easily offended don't read the next sentence). I totally hate this style of music. I can only describe it as Heavy metal that has eaten it's self, shat it out then eaten the shit and puked leaving this noise in it's place. (very offensive I know, nothing personal) I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from with this and can't believe I sat though 25 minutes of it.

As for the filming, editing etc. I think it started ok but by the 3rd minute I began to was beginning to get a bit irritated by the camera nosing and moving around. I think you would have been better to fix the camera, take a shot for 10 seconds then re-framed another shot take it re-frame etc. This way you will have lot's of good shots to use in the edit. The talking bit/interviews would also have been better less shaky. The editing needs to be much more ruthless in that it needs cutting down by more than half, at least. That might be me being biased about the subject but I don't think so. By the time you've heard a bald, beardy man saying "fuck Yeah" half a dozen time I think the message has been well an truly hammered home so cut, cut, cut.

I think the real plus point of this it that you did a very good voice over, It was a little on the hidden camera show TV style for me but I thought it was well written and confidently and competently put across.

Considering you just thought on the way there, "hey lets do a documentary while we're there" and it was your first attempt I thought you did a reasonable job. Well done for having a go and I'm sure your next one will be much better.

I thought the video was fine, just too long

I agree with MB about the music but I think you'll find that this is typical of us old fogies on the forum

I think you were brave to put your first documentary attempt in the "user videos" shark tank rather than the "just for fun" kiddie pool -- always make sure to wear flame-proof metal undergarments when posting here (just wait until you get your first candid review from slimbob, rembrandtbob, or any of the other bobs, and you'll know what I mean)

Zam

I really dig your comments and insights MB. The music is definitely hit or miss for most people. I am a fan of a very wide variety of music, basically everything except country and pop. I am pulled towards the heavy metal genre because of its aggressiveness, while still maintaining some damn good skill (varies obv). A lot of the major label bands have some phenomenal musicians in their rosters. But I am definitely not offended by your distaste for the music MB, I'm actually surprised you sat through the whole thing too! That must count for something right? The next attempt will be definitely be thought out long ahead and attacked in a professional manner. Here I was pretty drunk most of the time, but it was fun.

While I agree with you Zam, that personally I feel it's a tad bit long, I decided to go with the 25 -30 min length mainly because, most of the people watching it most likely either ran the event, attended the show, or played in it. I guess those people kinda dug it, because they are hounding me to finish part 2, which I am going to start working on next week. As for throwing myself to the wolves that dwell in this section, I welcome the lambasting, as it just helps me to do better next time! -Ian

Blog Entries

I was going to post very similar comments to Midnight before I was called away.
    I really liked the voice over parts. I did not like the random atmosphere parts which were not quite" interviews. It's OK to have some not so great audio if we can at least see the faces of the people who are talking - this gives a further clue as to what is being said, but all too often we had shots of some bloke's tee-shirt whilst we could hear two or three voices talking above a background of other noise. OK for the odd 5 seconds between more focused material, but rapidly tiring when that's all we get for a while. A dislike of the music shouldn't really come into it with a documentary like this and the fact that Midnight felt the need to demonstrate his dislike in such excessive tterms suggests you put too much in it. o my mind the movie shoudl either be a Metal Movies with a few snatches of interview - thus limiting your audience to metalheads and you'd need better audio) or a documentary, where you'd use occasional 30 secs of live material every now and then to split up the interviews.
    Tim

Interesting for sure.... Not my choice of music, although I grew up with Deep Purple, Nazareth and a pint of Dead Kennedys.... Reptilian Brain (and similars) didn´t make to me. But we´re not discussing taste, right? Well, a bit long to me too, since the subject was not getting more interesting or developing into a story. The "who is Dale" part was interesting (documentary starting ?), so I guess this part could develop into something more among the other participants, turn into a theme or something... Must admit I didn´t reach the end, but I´m sure that the participants of the festival are the best gauge you can use about the success of the documentary. The movie must please you audience first!

The voice over was really really cool. As already mentioned the visuals could need some improvement. They are shaky, often out of level and unfocused from time to time. I did not like the cut from the beginning of a song directly to its end. This sounded odd to me somehow. It would have been nicer in my eyes (or ears) to let the band start to play maybe add some footage from the song's middle and switch directly to the interview afterwards.
    Nevertheless a really good attempt. I doubt my first documentary will be that good (if I ever manage to make one).