Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scuba diving at Capenwray

Default Scuba diving at Capenwray

I didn't shoot the underwater footage in this video, I'm using it with the kind permission of a diver called Kevin Phillips from his Original YouTube Video but the rest of the stuff is mine.

Hope you like it.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 10-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.

The bottom row of the opening title is hard to read at least in the small player.
    Nice video and impressions in general but the music gets a bit annoying. It's a bit too relaxing in my eyes.
    A scene of diving ducks as breaking-up would have been funny although the horse already did its job
    I enjoyed it throughout and especially liked the discussion shots at the end. The actors could have presented themselves a bit friendlier. It did not quite look like the fun it sure was.

I wasn't sure about the titles I think they look nice but was concerned at how easy they are to read on a small screen. It's a good observation about the people not really looking happy, this is down to me not really capturing their more light hearted side. I think most of them were wondering who the bloke was, pointing a camera at them all day.

I found it hard to pick the music for this one as I wanted a tranquil feel for the under water shots. I could have taken this video in a totally different direction and made it "more fun" but thought the footage I shot, with my usual style fitted this type of video.

As with all the videos I post, it's still a work in progress and I use the comments and suggestions on here to improve them so thanks for the comments Ray.

Maybe different music for over and under water would have worked.

Blog Entries

Yes, they do rather look like they're doing it as a chore. Perhaps Cameron forced them to do it.
    I suppose it was a vehicle for you to show the footage you took, but as we know the footage was from different times, it didn't really work as a film for me.
    Your shots were good and crisp though, and I thought well chosen. My favourite was 1:34 and I loved the way you cut it into the following shot.
    The blacks were possibly a bit too crunched (I know you love that), but then again you wouldn't want any trace of blue in them, would you
    Tim

I think part of the problem was getting up before dawn to get there really early. I don't see why the filming on different days makes a difference to the film, I've done this lots of times.

Crushed blacks ? Well you have to have a house style don't you, like using the bump map FX on titles. Although I do tend to use the layer Dimensionality FX these days.

Thanks for viewing.

It all held together nicely for me - I wouldn't have guessed that the underwater footage was from a different day - the music worked - all good

actually if I was going to change something it would be to remove the shots of the run-down tenements that occasionally pop up in the background
    Last edited by zamiotana; 10-03-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Some beautiful sharp shots MB! (sorry if I always say that, but itīs true.... and I donīt know what crunched blacks mean anyway!) Liked the editing/sequences too. The music type is not into my particular taste, but itīs a hard subject to fit music in for sure. Did you try a "happier" option? Donīt know why, but Take Five (Dave Brubeck quartet) came into my mind for a diving video now.... The kissing couple added something special to the middle of the video! Guess Iīm a bit romantic tonight!!
    Last edited by TonyBR; 10-03-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Cheers guys. Thanks for watching.

I updated it with a few tweaks (As you do). I think it's a bit better.

Rather a crushed black than a burnt out white. Which is what can happen on sunny days even shooting fairly flat. Also a lot of shots are pointing into the sun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think part of the problem was getting up before dawn to get there really early. I don't see why the filming on different days makes a difference to the film, I've done this lots of times.
    It destroyed the illusion.

Normally we don't "know" that and assume that in a documentary type film which follows a chronological order, the footage was shot in that order. Knowing in advance that these were shot on separate occasions makes it feel (to me) like it's not a true documentary of those divers on that day (which it is not and neither does it claim to be - but it does give the illusion of being).

It's a bit like the David Attenborough business with the polar bear pups - I prefer not to know that it was shot elsewhere at at different time - yet in that case the documentary was about animals that live in the Arctic, and NOT about David's trip to the Arctic, so even knowing it was shot at a different time/place, I didn't feel "cheated".

Of course, also know that the footage was not shot by you or even on the same trip so this added to spoiling the illusion.

Perhaps it's part of telling a story - if I'd not found out until after I'd watched I'd have been none the wiser when enjoying it and I'd be patting you on the back for cleverly patching it all together afterwards!

So, no, it doesn't matter. But perhaps the moral of the story is not to gve away the tricks of the trade until after your audience has watched (which you probably wouldn't if this wasn't an editing forum, I guess)
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast