Thread: How do I round the borders of a small video inside the main video?

Default How do I round the borders of a small video inside the main video?

I have my main video, and then I have a secondary camera, which is capturing another view of the same scene. I've already resized the secondary video and synced them both.
    Now I want to give the smaller video a rounded border. I like the "Elliptical Ring" in black color. But I want the small video to be visible only inside the ring, and the other video to be visible outside the ring.

Something like this: ( min 07:08 )

I have Sony Vegas Pro 12.0 (64 bits), running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.

Can anyone tell me how to do that? Thanks in advance.

Smalltown, Queensland

Off the top of my head and without reviewing it, it's a mixture of Cookie Cutter, Track Motion, and having the correct track above the other one in the timeline.

Try those clues and see how you go.

Isn't there something like an alpha mask in Sony Vegas? Otherwise overlay the PiP to be with a green or blue image leaving the section to show transparent. Encode it that way, import it to Sony Vegas and use chroma keying to make the unwanted areas transparent.

If you search "picture in picture" on YouTube, you will find lots of tutorials that will show you how to do the basic steps. The shape can be done with the mask tool if you have Vegas Pro 12 or as Stripe says you can use the cookie cutter FX.

Thanks a lot! Indeed, "masking" is what I wanted to do. I just didn't know it was called that way (I'm a musician and I only use Sony Vegas to edit videos of my shows and lessons), so I couldn't find it on YouTube nor Google.

However, I tried the Cookie Cutter and liked it a lot more! Thas exactly what I wanted to do.

Thanks again!