Thread: Film maker of the year - 2013

Default Film maker of the year - 2013

Just like the title says ...

Please pass on my regards to your uncle and thank him for his vigilance in keeping the forum relevant.

Thanks - but when I watched the video on youtube I discovered that it had been completely corrupted - I think I'll try Vimeo and see if it's any better but the quality isn't even a tenth of the original on youtube

if you guys hold the award ceremony at the lanesborough I'll show up

Ok I am uploading to vimeo but seeing a lot of bogus messages like - upgrade to premium for faster uploads - pay money for this - pay money for that - come on really ? - looks like I might be back to youtube really quick if this bs keeps up - we'll see what the video looks like first - a few other minor issues like - I couldn't figure out how to upload from the Vimeo iPhone app - the Vimeo web page stopped uploading while my phone was asleep - etc - really crappy so far - two out of ten and I'm being generous

...ended up deleting the vimeo app so it's back to youtube I guess - if people want to spend money on something that doesn't work they can buy my app when it comes out
    Last edited by zamiotana; 10-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Just voted for you Mr. Smith!

Thanks TonyBR!

I filmed this little vignette while heading out for lunch (and edited it over lunch); I had a few problems as follows:

- it's a lot harder to walk and talk than it looks, so I ended up doing two takes of my phone call with Slimbob (although you would probably never guess, the truth is that I usually just live with the first take and move on to the next scene)
    - because I did the two takes in different locations and used the first part of the first take and the last part of the second take, I think the casual observer might not realize that it was supposed to be the same phone call (because the background had changed in an instant and I suddenly had my glasses on)
    - in the shopping mall I kept looking at the phone to make sure I was onscreen however this isn't very realistic for a phone call (I guess it could have been a "FaceTime" call, but I think it spoiled the illusion of a phone call)
    - I cut out a lot of material (a conversation with Slimbob's landlady, etc.) and I think I ended up cutting out some of the continuity at the same time as the extra material
    - anyway the real secret of film is to create the illusion of all the stuff that is going on offscreen; I'm not sure that this aspect worked either