Thread: Basic color correction question regarding color spaces

Default Basic color correction question regarding color spaces

Hi all,

This question is more of a 'color correction' question, I hope that is OK in this section of the forums.

I just got interested in color correcting and I have a few very basic questions.

If I understand correctly, if you want to color correct for HDTV, you need to use a Rec. 709 monitor. Does that mean that your footage also needs to be in Rec. 709, or do you color correct your footage to look good on a Rec. 709 screen?

If your footage need to be Rec. 709, do you record it in Rec 709, or can you transfer (s)RGB footage to Rec. 709?

Also, how do you color correct for DCP's? If I understand correctly, a DCP uses the XYZ color space. What monitor do you use in this case? What color space should your footage be?

I know that this is all very basic, but I am curious to know!

Thanks in advance!

Sound to me like you've been over studying this. Unless you are doing colour correction professionally I wouldn't worry about Rec 709, XYZ, or what ever. The best advice I can give you is to have a good calibrated monitor that will give you an accurate picture. Then if it looks right on your monitor then it should look right on your TV so long as the TV is set up correctly.

This may not be the advise you are expecting but is IMHO the right advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Sound to me like you've been over studying this. Unless you are doing colour correction professionally I wouldn't worry about Rec 709, XYZ, or what ever. The best advice I can give you is to have a good calibrated monitor that will give you an accurate picture. Then if it looks right on your monitor then it should look right on your TV so long as the TV is set up correctly.

This may not be the advise you are expecting but is IMHO the right advice.
    Thanks Midnight Blue.

It's not that I'll be doing color correction for DCP's, it's just that I am curious to know, that's all.

Also, when calibrating your monitor, can I just use a Spyder 4, for example, or are those more for photography?

Thanks!

Yes, a spider 4 is a good tool to calibrate your monitor. The right colour is the right colour whether that's video or photos.

I don't really know a great deal about this area but I think you select XYZ for a DCP Have a look at THIS for further explanation but don't get too bogged down in the unnecessary technical aspects unless that's the sort of thing that lights your candle.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Yes, a spider 4 is a good tool to calibrate your monitor. The right colour is the right colour whether that's video or photos.

I don't really know a great deal about this area but I think you select XYZ for a DCP Have a look at THIS for further explanation but don't get too bogged down in the unnecessary technical aspects unless that's the sort of thing that lights your candle.
    Thank you very much!