Thread: 720p Burning via DVD maker software

Question 720p Burning via DVD maker software

Hi there, I'm using a Sony HD camcorder [1440*1080 16:9 @25 fps and 10Mbps+] for home videos. I edit them in Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 and render in 720p HD. Now I'm thinking about compiling all the clips in to a DVD (4.7 GB) and for this, I'm intending to do the project using Sony DVD Architect Studio 5.0.
    Now my question is, Will the 720p get in to some sort of conversion for NTSC or PAL since I'm gonna use standard DVD's?
    Is there a method of presenting the 720p videos in the 4.7GB DVD?

*I'm going to put all the clips together and save them in an ISO image that is compatible for 4.7GB DVD.
    Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nOoB_SL View Post
    standard DVD's?
    Is there a method of presenting the 720p videos in the 4.7GB DVD?

*I'm going to put all the clips together and save them in an ISO image that is compatible for 4.7GB DVD.
    Thanks in advance [/SIZE][/B]
    No, not that will be compatible with all DVD players. You will need to use blu ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    No, not that will be compatible with all DVD players. You will need to use blu ray.
    thanks
    If i burn the videos like i mentioned, (720p videos in to 4.7GB DVD) would it be played with a better quality in a blu-ray player?

Blog Entries

thanks
    If i burn the videos like i mentioned, (720p videos in to 4.7GB DVD) would it be played with a better quality in a blu-ray player?
    It is unlikely to play at all.

thank you

Speaking of Sony DVD Architect Studio 5.0, it used to be able to burn so-called AVCHD DVDs, but this option was dropped in an autumn 2011 update/new build.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Speaking of Sony DVD Architect Studio 5.0, it used to be able to burn so-called AVCHD DVDs, but this option was dropped in an autumn 2011 update/new build.
    Is AVCHD in any way better than conventional NTSC or PAL? Also can AVCHD be written on to conventional 4.7 GB DVD's so that will be playable on any player?

Is AVCHD in any way better than conventional NTSC or PAL? Also can AVCHD be written on to conventional 4.7 GB DVD's so that will be playable on any player?
    The short answer was already in Marc's first post (#2 here).
    A somewhat longer discussion can be found e.g. in the thread below
    (copy and paste the link)
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=868625

Basically, you could get a rewritable DVD or three, prepare the .iso with DVD AS, write that image file to DVD with an external software (e.g. ImgBurn) to test what happens with the hardware and software available to you.
    As said previously, the DVD AS 5.0 current builds (later than 128 ) do not burn HD to DVD.
    Last edited by vkmast; 10-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.

You can make HD DVDs that are playable on Blu-Ray players but not standard DVD players, you just need to have the right sofware to do it. I believe Sony Vegas 11 does it....
    Remember, burning a DVD using HD footage does not make your DVD HD, it will be convert it down to stanard def before the DVD is even burned using your sofware.... So you'll get something like 720x480......

Quote Originally Posted by Solo619 View Post
    You can make HD DVDs that are playable on Blu-Ray players but not standard DVD players, you just need to have the right sofware to do it. I believe Sony Vegas 11 does it....
    Remember, burning a DVD using HD footage does not make your DVD HD, it will be convert it down to stanard def before the DVD is even burned using your sofware.... So you'll get something like 720x480......
    To maybe clarify, the current situation with Vegas Pro and Movie Studio is explained in the SCS KB article #4415.
    Q. How can I burn AVCHD footage to disc in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum or in Vegas Pro? A. Our software actually burns Blu-ray Disc content to Blu-ray media, as opposed to burning an AVCHD disc as some software products do.
    This change was made in late 2011 updates, the reason given was "it was not standard".

The SCS thread link above is worth reading. Google "AVCHD disc" as well.
    You'll get something like
    One of the benefits of the AVCHD format is the ability to burn high definition video to a standard DVD disc. That DVD disc can then be played in a Blu-ray disc player, allowing you to view your high definition video on an HDTV. So even if you donít own a Blu-ray disc burner, you can still play back your high definition home movies on a Blu-ray disc player (or even a Sony PlayStation 3).
    Note that the playback is NOT guaranteed on all BD players.
    Personally, I make only an occasional AVCHD DVD and mainly use BD now.