Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empathy

1. Default Empathy

Hi

New to the forum but would like to share a recent video about patient care.
    Any thoughts most welcome

Cheers
    Rob

I really liked this. Maybe it's a minute too long. All through it I was hoping that the scenes were ordered more towards a positive ending but it's just perfect the way it was made now that I know the intention.

I agree with Ray it's good but perhaps a little to long.

Blog Entries

Watched this through to the end and felt the length was just right. In fact I could have watched more. I thought the voice overs took something away, particularly as we're not supposed to know how they feel. The captions following the people was a great way of "labelling" so I didn't think the VO was necessary. It would be good to see a version without them.

Well, I was thoroughly confused as it seems to be showing several stories at once; with little to differentiate between them.
    I wonder that this might be achieved by playing the music with a different instrument, so when the story comes back the music (instrument) matches that used when first seen?

However, I'm not aware that lack of empathy has been identified yet; although there is always that possibility in some dark corner of the Country....Nicely filmed, probably on a DSLR?

Blog Entries

Forgot to add that I thought it was great, particularly as you used real people.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Well, I was thoroughly confused as it seems to be showing several stories at once; with little to differentiate between them.
    Then it seems you were not confused. The common theme is that you are unlikely to understand what's going through their mind without the captions. They are otherwise just other people. It's hard to see, and having someone to understand what you're going though based on experience, I.e. empathy, makes it easier to deal with.

Blog Entries

I think the film was well made. Excellent camerawork, nicely and realistically lit, well composed and superbly edited but...

All in all a bit too saccharine smooth for my liking. It looks like a corporate video.

It's very careful not to offend anyone. It's easily understood. It doesn't challenge anyone nor does it tweak any emotions. It means that someone can tick "make empathy video" off their "to do" list but I doubt that it will change anyone's attitude.

Technically superb but emotionally bland.

8. Default

Thanks for all the feedback! Originally it was slightly shorter with no captions or voice over but the client felt this would make it too difficult for the target audience to follow (it's part of a training programme within the NHS). From a film making point of view I liked the idea of not making it to easy for the viewer but at the end of the day the client is king! It was all shot on a Sony FS100 with a Tamron 24-70 (canon fit), 1m Glidetrack and LED panel. I know it does have a corporate feel but that's probably because that's most of the work I do (can't wait to do some proper narrative work of my own!)

Cheers
    Rob

Blog Entries

I'm inclined to agree with Rob. I have a feeling that this is is more to do with showing the public that the NHS is trying to get their staff to be more understanding than actually reminding their staff about the state of mind of the people with whom they are dealing. In fact I think the staff at hospitals are only too aware of this and it is the pressure they are under which means they aren't always able to appear as compassionate as they might wish to.

I might just feel insulted if I was shown this as a member of staff.

(Of course this isn't a criticism of the video which is well made, but of the concept)

The big turn off for me though was that I spotted only one non-caucasian person in the whole film. That certainly does not reflect the make up of hosiptal staff or patients where I come from (London/Home Counties) and is the inverse of what it is like where my son went to university (West Midlands).

The result of that is it doesn't seem set in the real world and therefore doesn't apply to the people watching (although I accept Wigan probably has a much lower percentage of Asian and Black people than around here)

Oh, and I got a bit sick of the glide track. I love'em but I'd have liked to have seen more variety in the camerawork.
    Tim

10. Default

Thanks Tim. I was a medical photographer/ videographer within the NHS for 13 years and unfortunately I must say that a small majority of staff when "pushed" don't have empathy to all patients hence Mids Staffs Hospital we have heard so much about. The video was shot with no budget, the good will of the local population of Wigan and staff who wanted to help make things better so as you say this properly wasn't a fair representation of the national demographic, it was people who gave their time. Could it have been shot better, hell yes, you live and learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast