Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now and then

Blog Entries

Default Now and then

I took a family trip to the zoo this week. The same zoo I visited about 8 years ago. Of course, I took my camera on both occassions and it's interesting to compare the two videos.

This is the one from 2006:

And from 2013:

I don't see any videos

Number 1 wins for me, for a few reasons, more family fun time music as opposed to the melencoly 2nd track, more appealing characters, and a hint of storyline.

I wonder if there is a formula for working out great shots in a video over amount of footage, but I imagine you must have had the camera rolling non stop to capture such wonderful shots full of expression. I'd also guess that you had more editing time for the first production - or I wonder maybe more enthusiasm?

I did find the limitations of the fixed lens a bit cramped after a while. With being in a wildlife park, I was hanging for a wide open space shot, and a lot of heads got chopped too.

Personally I'd watch and learn from the first, the editing had a fun quirkyness, but the 2nd film is forgotten already

Blog Entries

For the video from 2006 I had the luxury of filming other people; for 2013, I had my own child. It's an amazing difference which restricts you to filming when you can, not when you want. You have to learn to react very quickly. It also means you tend to focus on what other people may consider the wrong thing. My little girl is typically the central focus, perhaps to the detriment of what a critical viewer may consider to be the correct framing.

In both instances, I chose music that reflected the mood of the days. For the first video, there was plenty of action. The camera was following around a five year old that had a greater awareness of the world around her. It was an adventure. The second video was about my little girl feeling her way into a new world. Less of an adventure, more of a journey.

I prefer the second, mainly because it's my own familiy. I can see it's not perfect, but if I had the flexibility of filmingh other people, combined with the experience I have now, both would be better.

Thanks for the insights Marc, it makes more sense now. I still say you caught some great intimate shots on both films, I think the editing style in the first film was very entertaining, therefore the second seemed inferior.

When I mentioned enthusiasm, I was wondering if you think your style of editing has changed over these years?

I prefer the first one just like Stripe. This might be because you had more time to take footage and the music is more entertaining. Apart from the content shots in general seemed to be technically better in the second video rather than in the first one.
    In my eyes the second one is nevertheless really great to have as personal memory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    When I mentioned enthusiasm, I was wondering if you think your style of editing has changed over these years?
    It's always changing, influenced by what I've filmed, what I've watched and what gear I can afford / carry. My enthusiasm never changes.

From what I've read, it seems you both prefer the music in the first, which is a reminder that our videos owe so much to musicians.

I can see why the others preferred the first video but for me the second one blows it out of the water. Yes, the first one is kind of more fun but in terms of film making ability the most recent is far better. What the other are perhaps not getting from the second one is the personal communication and expression of love from a father to a daughter. For me it's like Marc has captured this moment so in years to come his daughter will see the love in his heart for her.

Is that over the top, may be but that's what I see. I also saw the soft focus of the second tiger shot at 0:22 and the wobbly shot of the zebras but lets not go there.

Blog Entries

Very interesting to see these two. I watched the first (which I've a feeling I saw yonks ago) and thought it would take some beating. It's vibrant with an upbeat soundtrack and it' a lovely home movie.
    The recent one, on the other hand, shows the work of someone who knows what they are doing. The shots are just so much better and I was inclined to watch moreso because of it.
    I don't think one can really compare the two.
    Ideally we'd have the subject and editing decisions of the first captured and edited by the person who shot the second!
    Tim

I enjoyed watching both videos but the second one held my interest until the end so I would pick the second

NOTE: I ended up having to access the links on my PC because I coduln't see them on my iPad -- is there something special about these particular video links that makes them invisible on an iPad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast