Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: build blog of a 3 axis gimbal and multi rotor

1. Default

Used the gimbal for the first time(and various other tools at my disposal) to make this little promo vid for a charity cycle ride.

The voice volume level is a bit low and you have some reverb. I think that's mainly an issue of the used mic.

I actually missed a shot which first looks like a simple follow cam and than takes off to surprise the viewer. The shot at 2:00 headed into the right direction.

Try to switch between the interview and the sports scene. That may make the video more interesting and put more focus on the interviewee.

What about incorporating a logo of the event organization?

It would have fit fine if you put the scene from 2:00 under the ending text.

The opening scenes were very fine in my eyes.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    The voice volume level is a bit low and you have some reverb.
    Try to switch between the interview and the sports scene. That may make the video more interesting and put more focus on the interviewee.
    Thanks for the advice xxlray. Your right about the sound, I haven't got round to purchasing a decent microphone yet and this was just done with my Iphone in a conservatory so not so great, I tried to improve it in fcpx but you can't polish a turd as they say.
    I did wonder about switching between the cycle scenes and the interviewee but I thought the best way to keep the viewers attention was by showing all the good looking shots along with the story so that by the time they've got to the end of those shots they are curious about the rest of the story and will hopefully will stay to the end.

I think you did very well with the copter shots especially as you haven't much time to practise with it. I thought they looked good.

What sort of monitoring system do you have ?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think you did very well with the copter shots especially as you haven't much time to practise with it. I thought they looked good.

What sort of monitoring system do you have ?
    Nah this was with my smaller hexcopter with a gopro, I've flown quite alot with that one. The monitoring system is via a 5.8ghz video transmitter down to a 7" lcd screen

6. Default

tis finally finished

Thanks again for sharing this fascinating project. Sadly, the mechanical development are far beyond my skills.
    Perhaps you have already answered these questions, but I am curious:
    The speed of the gimbal looks very fast. What are the max and min angles for each axis? How long does it take to move from one extreme to another?
    And. Are you able to give a rough total cost of the hardware?
    I would like to see some more of the view at body height (something like the earlier clip where you walk down a pavement, holding the gimbal/camera).
    I note that the link that MarcP posted refers to that operator as "Our pilot, Owain, spent six months training for a special licence". I guess there are all kinds of restictions over using these drones.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Thanks again for sharing this fascinating project. Sadly, the mechanical development are far beyond my skills.
    Perhaps you have already answered these questions, but I am curious:
    The speed of the gimbal looks very fast. What are the max and min angles for each axis? How long does it take to move from one extreme to another?
    And. Are you able to give a rough total cost of the hardware?
    I would like to see some more of the view at body height (something like the earlier clip where you walk down a pavement, holding the gimbal/camera).
    I note that the link that MarcP posted refers to that operator as "Our pilot, Owain, spent six months training for a special licence". I guess there are all kinds of restictions over using these drones.
    I don't know exactly what the speed is but its pretty much instantaniuos, which is the beauty of this technology. This was my first attempt at a brushless gimbal and it gives you an idea of the speed of the motors. Once you have built your gimbal you then have to tune it using the alexmos GUI which looks like this. The travel is basically only restricted by your gimbal and the wires that connect everything. The total cost of this particular rig was about 1500 (not including the ground station, batteries and controller) oh and that doesn't include the 150 or so hours it took me to build.

Oh yes there are a lot of hoops to jump through to become a UAV operator. I did my BNUC-s qualification in June, you then have to flight test your aircraft (which I will be doing with this one next year) and get it registered with CAA. They then issue your aircraft with a G number (yes just like the ones you see on the side of planes at your local airfield! ) Once you have done that you can then apply for your PFAW (permission for aerial work) certificate from the CAA. Then once you have that you can legally perform commercial aerial photography within the limitations of your PFAW. If you ever come across anyone who is getting paid for this type of work and can not produce a PFAW, then they are doing it outside the law and are also not insured. I, however, am, so if you know of anyone who needs this type of service I would be grateful if you could pass on my details

Very well done on the success of your project and for doing everything above board.

More power to you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234