Thread: Professional camcorder views

Default Professional camcorder views

Hi. I've used various SONY camcorders in the past and have been using 2 SONY VX2100s for many years now to film weddings. I want to upgrade to professional HD camcorders and have done quite a bit of research and am leaning towards the SONY PMW200. I'd appreciate any views from people who have used this (or other professional camcorders) before I buy. As I want 2, don't really want to pay more than about 5k each for them. Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    So little to check, just the mechanical condition.
    .... and the lenses
    Tim

\One wonders if folks spending a lot of money shouldn't be looking at 4K gear. Many Editors will work with several formats and the camcorder can be used in HD-mode, until the $K becomes mainstream.
    However, it does mean you can begin to build-up a back-catalogue of useful 4K Clips.

Gaining practice with high-end gear might also help secure work, as you can record (usually) two definitions simultaneously; allowing a client to "boast" maybe . . . ?

Blog Entries

Bandwidth limitations mean that 4K is unlikely to become a broadcast format in the foreseeable future.
    However, it will have its used for cinema and it wll also be very useful as a capture format - especially for "one off" material where will be useful for re-framing in post.
    Tim

Unusually I agree with Vidmanners about this. When I got my first HD camera I couldn't edit in HD so down converted it first. When I upgraded my computer etc. I had the "fun" of re-doing all my films in HD.

I'm glad I did.

I'm not sure 4K will take on as fast as HD over SD did but I can confidently say it is the future, unlike 3D that they tried to push on us. But that's more of a speciality format.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Things are moving very fast, and lots of people are selling recent vintage cameras like this, or EX's because they're moving to DSLRs - there are excellent bargain to be had in 1-2 year old cameras now - so getting a pair of even better ones is possible for your budget. The PMW200 is a fine camera, but you'd get EX3s for the same price. With solid state cameras, there's no reason now to worry about 2nd hand. So little to check, just the mechanical condition.
    Thanks - hadn't thought about 2nd hand, suppose I'm always concerned at how they've been treated and whether I'd actually get VFM or problems! As you say, though, less cause for concern with solid state - really looking forward to moving away from tape, so I'll certainly have a little look!
    Also, hadn't even considered DSLRs - are they in my price bracket? Still getting excellent results and happy customers with my current kit so don't want to rush into buying new camcorders and then find I regret my choice.

I had looked at 4K but, on balance, think I'd be better moving to HD now and seeing where this goes in the coming years.