Thread: Pinnacle Studio 9

Default Pinnacle Studio 9

I am new to video editing and have Pinnacle Studio 9 with the latest patch (9.4.3??). I have captured and edited about 45 minutes of video from my Panasonic NVGS 120 camcorder. There are about 6 transitions and 2 titles in the final version. I set the computer away rendering and 5 hours later it was still doing it. I have plenty of hard drive space, have recently defragged and was not running anything else. Is there any indication in Pinnacle Studio 9 to tell you how far things have progressed? What should I look for to see if rendering has stopped? Pinnacle tech support say that rendering for output to dvd can take 20 hours or more is this right? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :
    Dell Dimension 2400. Pentium 2.8 GHz Processor. 1GB RAM. 75 GB HDD. 160GB Seagate USB2 External HDD. 17\" TFT Monitor. Canon XM2. Panasonic NV GS 120. Adobe Premiere 6.5. Adobe Premiere Elements.

Hey Ken.

I like you wish that there was some type of way of knowing how far in the process the rendering takes or should take but alas not to be with this program I am afraid. Maybe in the future releases.

Be patient and see what takes place. You mentioned two items I was immediately thinking could be affecting you in defragging and making sure nothing else is running in the background. I personally just let it run overnight and wake up in the morning hoping that I do not have a new coaster for my coffee.

Sounds like you are doing things correctly. What are your specs on your pc : Maybe someone else may see something that will help you.

Hang in there.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Isn't there a progress bar just underneath the preview window? I was looking at S9 recently, and I remember version 8 had no indicator at all - but I was sure S9 does keep you informed with that moving striped bar.

Yes, there is a moving horizontal bar under the Preview Window when you are making a movie to DVD.

I think it depends a lot on your computer, but I recently finished a movie, 1 hour long with lots of titles, transitions, pictures etc and it took just over 3 hours to render and burn to DVD. The rendering part is the longest bit - the burn part didn't take too long on my computer.

As it renders, you should also see it moving along in the video tracks at the bottom half of the screen, so you can see where it's up to. Bear in mind though that it goes through a few times, must be rendering different parts. But the blue stripey bar under the Preview window will give you an indication of how much has been done.

I'm surprised you were told it may take 20 hours. I have never heard of them taking that long.

Sarah

tone33 and swkeegan:

I stand corrected and appreciate the info. I guess I just never noticed it somehow and now I wonder how I didn't.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

The problem with double-entries is, it can be a bit embarrassing. So, for anyone reading this, the post that follows is the main one - and this one got screwed up. I've re-edited the content just to save face.

For what it's worth, I my experience 2 years ago with Studio 8 meant I would never use Pinnacle for a serious project again.

Must admit, though, that S9 looked quite healthy, and I used a friend's PC to finish some DVDs. It worked really well, with no problema.

No problem with that. I was beginning to think Pinnacle had somehow marketed different versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by swkeegan

I think it depends a lot on your computer, but I recently finished a movie, 1 hour long with lots of titles, transitions, pictures etc and it took just over 3 hours to render and burn to DVD. The rendering part is the longest bit - the burn part didn't take too long on my computer.

Yes, for a 1-hour video with varied content, that isn't bad. I remember Studio 9 definitely ironed out many of the S8 snags.

Default Pinnacle Sudio 9

Thanks for your help everyone. I have given up with Studio 9 now and gone over to premiere elements, last night I rendered (and output to DVD) 20 minutes of video with several transitions, 3 titles, some stills and soundtrack in a little over an hour.
    Dell Dimension 2400. Pentium 2.8 GHz Processor. 1GB RAM. 75 GB HDD. 160GB Seagate USB2 External HDD. 17\" TFT Monitor. Canon XM2. Panasonic NV GS 120. Adobe Premiere 6.5. Adobe Premiere Elements.