Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Premiere and external drive doubt.

1. Default Adobe Premiere and external drive doubt.

Hello guys.

I've bought a laptop for editing hd videos in premiere but it has only 5400rpm. If i buy an external drive with 7200rpm and put there all the footage and work from there, will things be better? I was thinking about a Seagate USB3.

Here's my laptop specifications

i7-4700MQ

2.4 GHz

DDR3L

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GT745M - 4 GB

Windows 8 64 bits
    1 TB 5400RPM

1920 x 1080 Pixels

4 USB3 Ports

Thanks. Best regards.

Blog Entries

You might see a slight improvement provided you use USB 3; premiere works better when your video is on a separate drive to your OS. What laptop do you have? Would you feel confident replacing the internal drive?

3. Default

Hello Marc. Yes i can change it, i mean, not me but my brother works at a computer store (fixing and adding things) and understand that. I have a Toshiba P70

But what is you advide for me on this? Would be useless to buy an external drive? Please give me your opinion, what would you do?

And one more thing, for now can i work OK with what i have at the moment? For now i'll just have to work with hd videos with short time.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Mikcheck; 09-19-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries

I worked for some time using a single 5400 rpm hard drive, HD footage and a lot of patience. About a year ago, I upgraded my internal drive to an SSD and replaced the optical drive with a 7200 rpm drive for video files. It really improved everything (night and day difference).

5. Default

Thank you. So you think if for now i buy an external 7200rpm drive for now, that will be better than nothing? Will it work a little faster? Later i pretend to improve the internal drive for an SSD but not for now i guess.
    Last edited by Mikcheck; 09-19-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikcheck View Post
    Thank you. So you think if for now i buy an external 7200rpm drive for now, that will be better than nothing? Will it work a little faster? Later i pretend to improve the internal drive for an SSD but not for now i guess.
    Providing you don't mind having to attach a drive, It's a better way of working regardless of any theoretical improvement in performance. Make sure you get a decent drive though - all my external drives use the best, most reliable drives in decent aluminium enclosures (I.e I bought the enclosure and drive separately).

You might want to consider getting a RAID solution to give the added benefit of redundancy.

7. Default

Hello Marc. Can you please provide me any link with that material? I'm sorry but i'm truly noob when it comes to computers.

This is the one i was talking about : http://www.worten.pt/store/disco-dur...-usb3-0-2.html

Best regards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikcheck View Post
    Hello Marc. Can you please provide me any link with that material? I'm sorry but i'm truly noob when it comes to computers.

This is the one i was talking about : http://www.worten.pt/store/disco-dur...-usb3-0-2.html

Best regards.
    That would seem fine if you're not concerned about the physical size of the enclosure, or having to plug it in to the mains for power. My solution is twice the money and less space. My secondary drive is a Seagate Momentus XT (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006...110_SY165_QL70) and my favoured enclosure this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00D...f=ya_aw_oh_pit

At today's prices, I'd probably get an SSD as an external drive.

9. Default

Hey Marc. Thanks for the info.

I think i'll opt for an internal SSD Drive, my brother can get me one SSD for about $175 with 250G. What you think?

The laptop comes with the 1T 5400rpm drive but i can add another one.

Thanks. Best regards.

Blog Entries

That's what I would do. If you need more space, you can use an external drive as a backstop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast