Thread: the best video equipment money can buy

Default the best video equipment money can buy

My friend Graziano brought a new toy with him to our flying club on Saturday and we had some fun playing around with it. You can see for yourself in this clip, but basically it is a quad-propeller drone with a GPS and Hero3 camera on board. Grazi's accomplice on the ground used VR goggles to track the camera and follow his hang glider in flight -- the best sequence is actually one in which the drone almost collides with the glider -- you can't miss it because I counted it at least nine times in the video.

For me, this unit seems like the ideal platform for establishing shots since you can place it anywhere you want in the sky (up to 1500 feet) and it will stay right there until the battery runs out.

I shot some footage of us playing with the unit itself Saturday evening which I will post here as well (gives you an up-close view of the setup)

Zam

Why does the drop disappear mid flight at 1:11?

Blog Entries

I want one!

I don't "need" one but I want one!

In this video (nice images, awful music choice by the way) it adds an element which take an average hang-gliding video into something more interesting. But tell him "less is more". It could have been shortened a great deal and please don't repeat shots more than once. The fifty three repeats of the fly-past got boring after the fifth repetition, which is a great pity as it's an impressive shot.

If the fly-past had only been in twice, it would remain in the mind as a "wow' effect.

But I think I know what I want for christmas (i won't get one, but I can at least ask...)

Edit: Zed, I think it's where the white 'copter flies through the shadow of the hang-glider and goes grey.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 09-16-2013 at 04:46 PM.

My guess was going to be "information loss during compression" but I like Rob's shadow theory
    Last edited by zamiotana; 09-16-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Same gear with the addition of a 400 gimbal.

now that makes one sweet platform

forget about climbing up a lamp post to get that high shot

Blog Entries

It's been on my "top ten things the wife would not approve of" for quite some time.

Here is my behind the scenes view