Thread: glide shots?

Default glide shots?

Hi folks I am play about with wedding videography with a few friends and family. I really struggle when trying to do highlights, how do you pros get the nice glide shots outside a church or up the isle do you use a trolley or a glide cam device? I bought a low budget stedi cam but can get a smooth shot! Does any of this make sense??

Quote Originally Posted by Andyhill1 View Post
    Hi folks I am play about with wedding videography with a few friends and family. I really struggle when trying to do highlights, how do you pros get the nice glide shots outside a church or up the isle do you use a trolley or a glide cam device? I bought a low budget stedi cam but can get a smooth shot! Does any of this make sense??
    You need a tripod slider. Visit glidetrack.com

What camera?

My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks shaf I am looking at few of these. How easy are they to use? I imagine I would struggle to keep the movement speed consistent and smooth.

Zero, I am using a couple of small Sony handi cams. Just starting so need to upgrade soon, maybe a dslr.

Also thanks for replying, I have spent a lot if time reading these forums and always find your advice really useful. As a amateur wanting to learn a lot of people provide very condescending comments when someone asks a "stupid" question but your advice is always well put and positive, it's clear your a true pro and I am enjoying slowing learning from reading your comments! I live in n Ireland and there doesn't seem to be any way to get formal training on videography so its a slow process of trial and error for me!

Thanks shaf I am looking at few of these. How easy are they to use? I imagine I would struggle to keep the movement speed consistent and smooth.
    The glidetrack systems are generally smooth systems. Although, it does take little practice. But you will find they make a big difference to your shots

Zero, I am using a couple of small Sony handi cams. Just starting so need to upgrade soon, maybe a dslr.

Also thanks for replying, I have spent a lot if time reading these forums and always find your advice really useful. As a amateur wanting to learn a lot of people provide very condescending comments when someone asks a "stupid" question but your advice is always well put and positive, it's clear your a true pro and I am enjoying slowing learning from reading your comments! I live in n Ireland and there doesn't seem to be any way to get formal training on videography so its a slow process of trial and error for me!
    Thanks for that Andy - DSLR, once better refined is gonna be great. Till then, and especially for weddings, a 'proper' video camera will always be your friend. All the add ons that are currently needed for dslrs to maximise their capabilities put them in the same price bracket as a good video camera.

If you want 1to1 training (and weddings are my speciality) I'm happy to provide this with practical examples of what, where, when that will always work well for you. Just contact me on PM if serious about it, or if you just want to chat about the wonderful world of wedding videos . . . Just phone - anytime!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I use Conova Slider K5 and Manfrotto tripod, I am getting good results from it!
    I did a short promo movie from the footage I had to Venue in Caesarea Alhayam, you can check it out and tell me what you think.

(Excuse my ignorance and possibly useless suggestion)
    If the Church floor is even, then might a long movement down an aisle be best (or better, or not as good) by attaching a Dolly to the bottom of the camera tripod?
    Perhaps this kind of device: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tripod-Profe.../dp/B00112B9C4