Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still at it. August video number 1

Default Still at it. August video number 1

I'm still shooting a music video every month, however we accidentily skipped July and shot two in August.
    Heres the first, the second one is being released later this week.
    Shot using go pro and 7D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWysdj4EPs

I think the initial idea was a good one but it seemed to me like the video was too thin on content. You must have got up pretty early to film this.

I really liked the 70's style punk music.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed it, but i have to agree with Midnight. How to keep the ideas coming for the duration of a 3min song is a tricky one.
    Tim

I liked the people frozen idea

Very nice. I liked the length [02:18]. I suspect a 3min version would less exciting or interesting.
    I also like the frozen actors. If ever done again, I suggest that the actors should adopt action poses (like the 2 pavement fighters), otherwise, the person does not look 'frozen' in time. The streetmap flapping in the wind may have been unhelpful to the general effect.
    I sense the editing may have been done in a hurry;' at 02:02 the lying man's left shoulder and forearm are moving. Ooops!, the perils of choosing a difficult to hold pose.
    I thought the video fitted the message in the lyrics. I have seen many 'nothing for me now/nihilist/I feel disenchanted' videos. I prefer fuzzymuffin's vision to clips I see where the musicians all sit in dark rooms, smoking substances and giving long meaningful looks.

Thanks guys this one was a bit hectic, the day we shot it I had massive massive toothache and felt my brain was going to explode, which pretty much continued throughout the edit between bouts of drug induced hysteria. It was a strange one.
    The intention was to make more of the frozen people, but to be honest, I really needed to rush through it and call the emergency doctors :/
    The commitment to this project as a whole is testing sometimes, there is lots I would like to go back and re-do, maybe that will be next years project

Interesting comment re commitment Fuzzy. I know a musician that enters a song comp. Every year they have 2 months to write and produce 50 songs. I think it's crazy, but he loves it.

I question the quality of output (from him), and I don't see the point of having 50 songs full of mistakes because that's not something you are going to look back on with any pride.

I can understand the challenge and usefulness of learning to create and move quickly and not get bogged down in detail, that can be valuable.

But this guy does this EVERY year.

Can you give me any insight into why you think this is a valuable exercise? Maybe I am not appreciating the reasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    I question the quality of output (from him), and I don't see the point of having 50 songs full of mistakes because that's not something you are going to look back on with any pride.
    I think this has high value. It's something I've never been able to bring myself to do, with a result that I tend to avoid doing anything as I'm worried about doing anything that's less than perfect (not tha I'm suggesting what I do is anything like perfect, just that at the time of making, it's made to the best of my ability). I'm sure the experience of doing things "for practice" is invaluable.
    Tim

apart from the obvious you have to make 1 music video a month....

what is the video a month challenge fuzzymuffin?

i struggle to do one a year these days !
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I think it's a great idea to help focus the mind and get use to deadlines and fast production speeds that will be needed for proper work. It also helps to build creative neural pathways in the brain. I just wish I had the frame of mind to do it but my creative neural paths are so full of weeds, I have to take a machete to help me get through the jungle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast