Thread: PC or Mac

Default PC or Mac

Let me first start of by short introducing myself. I'm a 19 years old student who lives in The Netherlands. I'm studing video-editing and some other things that have to do with it. Now my problem is:

My edit set in my own room is not that great, you can better say kinda
    poor. I have a Windows XP Computer but it's not really great for editing. Now, I bought that computer a few years ago, and I can still build in alot of things, such as: RAM memory, more memory, building in 64bit (Now I have 32bit) etc.... That will make the editing much better and faster right?

I'm considering two things, 1. Just build in my XP with more RAM etc... or 2. Buying a Mac of Macbook.
    You must understand that I'm still a 19 years old student with a low budget... What is the best thing to do?

I used both and my personal opinion is that just performance and usability (concerning video editing) do not justify the higher price of a Mac especially as you are on a budget. I would tune the PC.

Blog Entries

The thing about Macs is... they work.

You switch it on, it works. You install a program, it works. Ten years later, it's still working.

If you have the skill and patience to tweak, install, de-install, fiddle, wait and re-boot. A PC will do the same job but cheaper.

You will always find some twat who knows someone who had a friend whose mac broke in 2005 but, generally speaking, Macs work and that's what you pay for. Reliability.

Do not, however, make the mistake of comparing Mac specs with PC specs. The Mac O/S works completely differently than a PC so you will tend to get more for less, if you get my meaning.

But neither is "better" they are just different.

It's like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. Both do the job but one is considerably cheaper, the other is more reliable.

If you do go down the upgrade route. One of the best things you could do is to change your hard drives of SSD. The prices of these have gone down and I think they give you the best bang for buck of any upgrade.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    The thing about Macs is... they work.
    Apart from when they don't. Then you're stuffed.
    With PC's you have a lower level of expectation and so you're less likely to be disappointed.

That is a very ridiculous comment
    Yes but it's also a joke, which obviously went way over your head.

All of the windows computers I have had start to have problems after about 1 year
    It's because of what's called "planned obsolescence". Google it. The Windows operating system starts off nice and clean when first installed. Then after time and multiple "essential updates" it becomes clogged up, even with optimisation. These guys are in it to make money, not to make our lives easier.

If only life was as simple as it was back in the 50's.

I get every operating system to crash. I did so for Windows, I did so for Mac OS and I currently do so for Ubuntu Linux. I don't see the point in spending the additional money for a Mac when the Software you use in the end is finally the same (well the same product not the same code base). If you choose your PC components carefully (and Apple does nothing else in the end) you will have a well working PC whose performance is comparable to a Mac for a lower price.

Blog Entries

Ah, the trusty Mac vs PC debate. It never goes away. I have machines with OSX and Windows 7. Both have SSDs with maxed out RAM, which make the incredibly fast and responsive (booting to the OS, loading apps and multitasking). Cross platform apps enable me to do what I want on either system, and Parallels for OSX means I have a good eco-system which integrates both platforms Put simply, hardware and software on both systems do not impede my creativity or productivity. In my experience, here are a few key points:

For me, Windows has the edge here. The networking just works on Windows and is happy to talk to my mac. My mac really dislikes Windows, and is really picky about picking up my NAS. To transfer files wirelessly between my MAc and Windows machines, I run a Virtual installation of Windows 7 using Parallels. This enables me to used the Windows networking tools.

I much prefer the OSX way of installing, maintaining and launching apps. It just feels right. I like the dock, which gives you easy access to your most used apps, and the way apps fill the whole screen when you want them to.

I installed an SSD in my laptop in a matter of minutes. On Retina MacBook pros, there's proprietary flash storage and the ram is soldered to the motherboard. Apple really doesn't want you to open up the case and poke around

Macs are more expensive. Full stop. There's no argument.

Put simply: If money isn't an issue, I'd go Apple with Parallels for the ultimate all round system. Anyone on a budget should rule out a Mac.

I agree that anyone on a tight budget should rule out a Mac, but depending on what the preferred software options are it can work out cheaper buying a Mac if the budget isn't quite so tight.

For me personally, Avid/After Effects/Maxon C4D are my necessary tools of choice, with Adobe Premiere being an alternative option to Avid. On a Mac my preferred tools are FCPX/Motion/Maxon C4D. A quick bit of research matching up Mac to PC hardware/OS equivalent (taking Rob's point about specs into account) performances/prices combined with OS costs and my preferred tool prices shows that the Mac route is/can be much cheaper, not even just a little. Even add the Apple extended warranty costs and it's still way below in cost and they fix it for no extra charge for 3 years.

But it can only be that way if budgets aren't too tight. With a PC there are budget options that allow you to put together a software/hardware combination for a fraction of the cheapest that it can be done on a Mac.