Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idaho Video

Default Idaho Video

Hi all,

A few weeks ago - I spent a week in Idaho with my family. I took video along the way, and just posted this video today.

Overall, I'm happy with it. But I realize it may not be as interesting for someone watching who doesn't know the people being filmed. Since I know the purpose of this forum is feedback, I thought I'd start with a bit of my own - some self critique:

- In general some unsteady camera work (such as the pan at :40). I'm working on this, trying to get better
    - The transition at 1:16 is a bit harsh
    - Water spots on the lens at the 1:53 clip
    - Slight color change with the slow motion at 2:17
    - Music transition at 2:50 is harsh, but I think it works ok
    - Slow motion at 2:59 is blurred a bit - I was playing around with Twixtor, and was happy enough with it as an experiment
    - I gave color correction a try this time around. Overall, I was happy with the results, but curious to hear feedback on if it was over/underdone

I don't want to spoil anyone's critique fun - but these are things that I thought might get pointed out. That said, I'm happy with how it turned out - just curious to hear others feedback as well. BTW, it's all shot on GoPro - still working on getting a camcorder of some sort.

Thanks in advance!
    -

For me the video could have ended at 3:30. Some footage is quite similar and makes it seem repetitive. You were mixing up the footage. I think I would have preferred it to be sorted by topic i.e. beach to beach, pool too pool, golf to golf, ...
    Nevertheless nice video showing the family fun you had. You can try to use a tripod or your GoPole as improvises shoulder cam for more steady shots.
    Take the shot of the baby touching the camera, in the next shot let somebody else touch the camera and remove his hand as intro and you have a funny transition.

Lots of happy kids, family etc. What could be wrong with it ? I do kind of agree with Ray on the randomness of the clips but this can sometimes work really well. The big plus point is that you managed to get a good variety of shots which helps to keep viewer interest. I have a personal thing about seeing people talking in videos but not being able to hear them. You already seem to know a lot of the technical points so there isn't really much point in going over them.

I think the length is probably right for the intended audience providing it is aimed at family and friends.

Good job.

Blog Entries

Nice job editing. Some great shots which make use of the fish-eye. I particularly liked the golf drive and the first "Nevermind" shot. However I did find the wide-angle a bit too much for a lot of the film.
    Looks like you had a great time.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    For me the video could have ended at 3:30. Some footage is quite similar and makes it seem repetitive. You were mixing up the footage. I think I would have preferred it to be sorted by topic i.e. beach to beach, pool too pool, golf to golf, ...
    Nevertheless nice video showing the family fun you had. You can try to use a tripod or your GoPole as improvises shoulder cam for more steady shots.
    Take the shot of the baby touching the camera, in the next shot let somebody else touch the camera and remove his hand as intro and you have a funny transition.
    Thanks for the feedback Ray. Yeah, the order of scenes - I liked the idea of jumping around (out of order) - but an ordered edit probably would have been nice as well.

I hear you on the length. I felt like it could have ended a bit sooner - but stretched it so that it wound down with the end of the music. And, I should have thought of the transition you mentioned, but I'm not sure I had the right footage to make it work (someone uncovering the lens)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Lots of happy kids, family etc. What could be wrong with it ? I do kind of agree with Ray on the randomness of the clips but this can sometimes work really well. The big plus point is that you managed to get a good variety of shots which helps to keep viewer interest. I have a personal thing about seeing people talking in videos but not being able to hear them. You already seem to know a lot of the technical points so there isn't really much point in going over them.

I think the length is probably right for the intended audience providing it is aimed at family and friends.

Good job.
    Thanks MB. Yeah, I didn't have enough audio to make it interesting if I were to fade the music in and out. One of the difficulties of the GoPro - the housing / poor audio - which lends itself to music overlays I think. I'd like to make a point to try the fade in and out a bit though for another video, as the audio (voice) could add a lot to the feel. Thanks for watching, glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Nice job editing. Some great shots which make use of the fish-eye. I particularly liked the golf drive and the first "Nevermind" shot. However I did find the wide-angle a bit too much for a lot of the film.
    Looks like you had a great time.
    Thanks, Tim! I think MB mentioned a "mid" setting on the GoPro last time around that minimizes the fisheye a bit - I'll have to check that out. Or get another camera. Or both.

Thanks for watching!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    I hear you on the length. I felt like it could have ended a bit sooner - but stretched it so that it wound down with the end of the music.
    Then edit the music If you're not confident to be able to work out/hear where to make a "musical" cut - ask a friend (it's nearly always preferable to leave the intro and the ending intact.
    When faced with having too much of one sort of material to match the other sort of material:

Always cut, Never stretch.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Then edit the music If you're not confident to be able to work out/hear where to make a "musical" cut - ask a friend (it's nearly always preferable to leave the intro and the ending intact.
    When faced with having too much of one sort of material to match the other sort of material:

Always cut, Never stretch.
    Tim, can you expand on this and provide a few examples of cutting music. This would be very useful.

I know you asked Tim but I do this sort of thing all the time. With a piece of Royalty free music it's quite easy to take out a section of a repeated phrase etc. without it being noticed. With well known music it's not quite so easy but very doable. Sometimes over long intros are a good place to cut say 10 seconds off a piece or you can take out a whole verse or a repeated chorus. You have to take each individual piece and cut it sympathetically. For example a song is well known for it's middle 8 section you would leave that in and cut out verse two.

The art of doing this is obviously to match the beat and timing of the song. If you take notice of adverts that use well known music and see how they cut up a song to fit with the 30 second add.

As a side note to this I have also added bits on to a song if it was a bit short just reverse the cutting principle. I'm sure Tim will add his way of doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast