Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remove potato from video

1. Default remove potato from video

Hi

maybe a strange request but My video is OK apart from a potato appearing now and again. I use vegas 11 (Newby) but having difficulty. Probably a simple problem for the experienced among you,

cheers

Can you give us a screen shot of the offending potato.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Can you give us a screen shot of the offending potato.
    Thanks for your reply

alienspud.jpg

Blog Entries

If I recall correctly, all you need to do, if you're human, is smash them all to bits!

What software do you have at your disposal? Basically you will need to cut the potatoe out using a masking tool and have an identical backgroud (but from freames where the potatoe isn't in that part of the image) show through. You will need to "keyframe" the mask as the potatoe presumably moves. This could man drawing areound the potatoe frame by frame. this is tedious. I've recentky spent hours doing just that to recover some footage which should really have been reshot.

Keywords to google - "Keyframe" "rotoscope"
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-11-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    Tim

On behalf of us on the forum, who dig a potato every now and then, could you please reconsider and keep it in your video? Thank you

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If I recall correctly, all you need to do, if you're human, is smash them all to bits!

What software do you have at your disposal? Basically you will need to cut the potatoe out using a masking tool and have an identical backgroud (but from freames where the potatoe isn't in that part of the image) show through. You will need to "keyframe" the mask as the potatoe presumably moves. This could man drawing areound the potatoe frame by frame. this is tedious. I've recentky spent hours doing just that to recover some footage which should really have been reshot.

Keywords to google - "Keyframe" "rotoscope"
    'Smashing them all to bits' is a bit primitive, lol

Luckily the potato does not move around just changes position three tomes. So the advice you give - which is along the lines I was thinking - will probably be OK. I have been able to change the colour of the potato but the result is just a coloured potato.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    On behalf of us on the forum, who dig a potato every now and then, could you please reconsider and keep it in your video? Thank you
    I sympathise, I like potatoes myself, especially made into chips. But on this occasion I have to be cruel - The spud has to go!

Using Sony Vegas, if the potato doesn't move you can mask out the offending vegetable with the pan/crop tool and place a piece of matching back ground on a track under it. You will probably need to feather the edges of the mask to help to blend the two tracks.

I wish Sony Vegas had a clone brush it would be really helpful.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Using Sony Vegas, if the potato doesn't move you can mask out the offending vegetable with the pan/crop tool and place a piece of matching back ground on a track under it. You will probably need to feather the edges of the mask to help to blend the two tracks.

I wish Sony Vegas had a clone brush it would be really helpful.
    Cheers for that. I hadn't thought about moving the track under it for matching background. Only been doing it for a short while but think I'm getting the bug!

this is my most favourite thread ever.

EVER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast