Thread: Keeping a clip centered on an object in the clip

Default Keeping a clip centered on an object in the clip

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 for editing my HD videos from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3).

I've been trying to figure out how to keep a clip centered on an object in the clip, such as a face, so that the face will more or less remain centered in the scene.

Don't know if such a thing is possible without extensive cutting and manual movement of the clip.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steel Rat

Blog Entries

Premiere doesn't have motion tracking functionality, so you will need to do the tracking manually using key frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Premiere doesn't have motion tracking functionality, so you will need to do the tracking manually using key frames.
    Thanks for the reply, Marc. Do you happen to have a link to a good tutorial on keyframes that may be somewhat similar to what I'm trying to do?

Blog Entries

No, but these search terms should give you a head start: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks,

I'm not sure if "Motion Tracking" is what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to have another object track a certain spot in a video, but to make a certain spot in a video remain in the center of the clip instead of it moving all over the place. Does that make sense?

You first need motion tracking to analyze the movement of the object. Afterwards you can apply the result to stabilization. In general you might search for image stabilization. It depends a bit on your video whether this is what you need.
    Apart from that taking a smooth footage before post-production is preferable. Look for shoulder and/or steady cam. A tripod can be used to improvise both.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Rat View Post
    I'm not sure if "Motion Tracking" is what I'm looking for.
    I think it is. I *think* this link may clarify how 'motion tracking' can be done using Premiere. And I suspect there are some better webpages or youtube demos.
    http://teachingyouaboutyourpc.blogsp...-premiere.html

In some software (not Premiere), this tracking can done semi-automatically. MarcPeters' point about Premiere was that it must all be done manually.