Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Floyd Mayweather vs Saul Canelo Alvarez - The One

  1. Default Floyd Mayweather vs Saul Canelo Alvarez - The One

    I made this trailer for the massive upcoming fight, for fun, and seeing as I'm an avid boxing fan.

    Any feedback would be great (I know colouring is a bit dodgy)

    Enjoy!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    A few thoughts:


    • your video intro last 10 seconds, had no relation to the video and was demonstrably worse quality than the video - you risk people switching off
    • the cuts to the music were very repetitive. I dislike being able to second guess where you're going to make the next several cuts.
    • you were a bit too formulaic. Once we were in to the fight scenes, there were no other types of shot, which became repetitive.
    • the use of commentary was a little odd. It cut off too quickly.
    • you don't seem to have attempted to create a uniform colour grade.
    • when you cropped the top and bottom to create a wide aspect ratio look, you cropped off heads.

  3. #3

    Default

    I would have liked to see a bit more technique shots like ducking for Alvarez. It was mainly just punching. The Mayweather scenes showed a bit more variety.

    (Just note that you need a broadcast permission from the copyright holders to upload the video to Youtube if you did not take the footage yourself.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    (Just note that you need a broadcast permission from the copyright holders to upload the video to Youtube if you did not take the footage yourself.)
    Given the huge volume of theses types of video, it would appear that the studios are pretty ambivalent about it all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,847
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    your video intro last 10 seconds, had no relation to the video and was demonstrably worse quality than the video - you risk people switching off
    I found it refreshingly clean and simple. The only quality issue I percieved was the banding which I presumed was down to YT compression (or was that not teh quality you were refering to?)
    It was too long for YT but it didn't feel like as long as 10 secs to me.
    And it had no relation to the content - but who's idents do? It's probably a good argument for putting idnts at the tail end though.
    The rest of Marc's comments are bang on as far as I'm concerned.
    Tim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,847
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Given the huge volume of theses types of video [using clips from broadcast], it would appear that the studios are pretty ambivalent about it all.
    Very true. A couple of comments on ths:

    The studios are probably ambivalent for a number of reasons. They couldn't realistically afford to take on everyone who's doing this - the time & effort would be great and they'd get no return anyway. They could make an exaple of one or two people, and try to "scare" the others, but then they just look like heavy handed corporates taking it out on poor individuals. Remember how bad the music industry was made t look when it tried tactics against home taping?

    However, like the proliferation of people popping pills and smoking cannabis, grudging acceptance does't make it right.

    What's more there is a massive ignorance among most people as to what they are and what ther are not allowed to do with other people's material, so a reminder on forums such as this from time to time can only be a good thing.

    It does irk sometimes to see people using material without permission when i always make sure I "do the right thing". For example I' was asked at the end of last term to film a school's speech day complete with show. Although this was an amateur production, I was not being paid and the DVDs will be given away, I still ensured I bought a MCPS licence to cover the music performed by the kids and obtained authors' permission and licences from publishers for two poems that were recited. In the case of both poems, licences were granted free of charge si it's not just about the money.

    However, I do wish authors/publishers would set up a similar scheme to the PRS Limited Manufacture licence as it makes it so easy to go on-line, pay a small fee and be covered. Fortunately teh internet made if fairly easy for me to find the copyright holders for the poems (this would have meant writing to publishers in the past) but it still took several emails back and forth before permission was granted and licences produced.

    Sorry, I've gone OT!
    Tim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    was that not teh quality you were refering to?)
    As you would expect from a montage of broadcast video, the overall production quality of the video was very high. If you weren't paying much attention, you could be forgiven for thinking this was from TV (in terms of the canera work). This was not under his control. The titles were his original content. You would expect much higher production values than this on TV. To the extent that it seemed odd.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

    What's more there is a massive ignorance among most people as to what they are and what ther are not allowed to do with other people's material, so a reminder on forums such as this from time to time can only be a good thing.
    I mention it as I've read this on several threads in the fan video section recently. It's a bit like telling people to smoke in the designated smoking area, and then telling them smoking inside isn't allowed.

    When considering copyright, it would seem sensible to ask yourself two questions: (1) could I reasonably be seen as engaging in activities that could generate a profit and (2) will the distribution of the material result in a reduction in sales of the infringed copyright holder or adversely affect their image. Put simply, could i make a profit, will others lose money or will they be made to look stupid.

    Your example of distributing DVDs falls into the first. You didn't make a profit, but you were engaging in activity that is reasonably associated with a business.

    For personal, limited distribution, it seems copyright holders take a reasonable approach.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,847
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    It's a bit like telling people to smoke in the designated smoking area, and then telling them smoking inside isn't allowed.
    Mea culpa. I'd forgotten the section in which this was posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    When considering copyright, it would seem sensible to ask yourself two questions: (1) could I reasonably be seen as engaging in activities that could generate a profit and (2) will the distribution of the material result in a reduction in sales of the infringed copyright holder or adversely affect their image. Put simply, could i make a profit, will others lose money or will they be made to look stupid.
    In the words of Jessie J "It's not (just) about the money". It's about using something belonging to someone else without their permission. I wouldn't borrow your camera without asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Your example of distributing DVDs falls into the first. You didn't make a profit, but you were engaging in activity that is reasonably associated with a business.
    Indeed - which was useful to back up my argument to the head that we needed to obtain the relevant permissions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    For personal, limited distribution, it seems copyright holders take a reasonable approach.
    Indeed. Though the publishers made it very clear that whilst they gave permission for free I still had to have the licence (some might say that being publishers, they would say that, wouldn't they)
    Tim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    In the words of Jessie J "It's not (just) about the money". It's about using something belonging to someone else without their permission. I wouldn't borrow your camera without asking.
    "Sorry Tim, I'm using my camera today, so it's not available. Also, not being funny, but last time you scratched the lens, so I'm not really sure you'll treat it with care". That scenario doesn't fit with digital media, does it? It's difficult for people to see what they're doing wrong (I'm not suggesting it isn't, just noting the difficulty).

    At what point am I doing anything wrong here:

    1) I record video in public of my family. Music playing in the background. It's a busker playing the Beatles, "penny lane". He's really good, so I record him too.
    2) After a few minutes, the police arrive to talk to him. I figure it would make a great video, so I record them too. They don't see me filming.
    3) I get home, upload the video to my laptop, and search for suitable background music. I select a song I bought on iTunes and put this into my project.
    4) I export the video and show it to my wife on a TV. She thinks it's rubbish, but I ignore her.
    5) I upload the video to Vimeo.
    6) Over the course of a year, 100 people watch the video. Some ask what the music is, so I give them a link to the iTunes.

    I would be more than happy to sign up to a scheme where I pay a reasonable amount a year to cover royalties. That doesn't exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mayweather vs Pacquiao Promo
    By JordyKenzie in forum User Videos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
  2. Mayweather vs Pacquiao Promo
    By JordyKenzie in forum User Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •