Thread: My first video - Fitness/video workout... thoughts critiques?

Default My first video - Fitness/video workout... thoughts critiques?

Hey guys,

I want to improve my editing and keep viewers interested in the vid. I know i messed up on some of the volume levels. Let me know your thoughts thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55iLDMXZWc

Blog Entries

Keeping viewers interested - firstly - who is your target audience? Your script/content has to be balanced to match this. What will keep a general audience interested will quickly bore a "fitness" audience and what will keep them interested will quickly lose a general audience.

You've clearly put a lot of work into providing a wide varierty of shots. This is good.
    However, you could do with learning some basic rules of composition in particular look up the "rule of thirds" and "leading space" - this will immediately give you more pleasing shots.

Something like this probably wants more transitions and effects than I'd normally use (which is none) but this has a miss-mash of different ones. Try to limit yourself to two or three transitions and use them consistently (ie always yse the same type of transition when you are going from (say) location to location and a different one when you are going from (say) exercise to exercise.

The titling at the begining was horrible. Use clean, clear titles. Fancy title can be good if you know what you are doing, but they need to convey a message and the sort bundled with the likes of Pinnacle Studio simply don't cut the mustard. This is why some people make a living out of "just" providing graphics.
    Tim

Great advice from Tim. I will just add look at the video with the sound off and ask your self, do the images stand up on there own. At those point you put effects, was that because you thought the image wasn't very good. If you find that to be true then editing alone isn't going to make your videos better. Try and find someone who really knows how to use a camera, someone that knows about long shots, mid shots and lots of close ups. Try more interesting and unusual angles. Have pin sharp focus, frame the shots right etc...

Once you have these sorts of shots you will find the editing side of things much easier without adding bells and whistles to try and spruce it up.

I personally liked the quotes and the massive music in this video but it's the sort of thing you can only do once and you've now done it so you will have to think again using the advice Tim has given you above.

Why not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Try and find someone who really knows how to use a camera
    Indeed, the camera work looks very similar to how I film things, and probably why I have seldom upload any of my own footage. Many of the shots looked blurry; even watching (on YouTube) at 1080p.
    From my POV, I don't know johnh4; and have no interest in the subject. If I am a target audience, then the clip leaves me with a strong feeling of his commitment and interest in fitness. But, it did not sway me either into (a) taking up fitness routines, or (b) follow the career of this fitness enthusiast or (c) sit back and wish it were me. However, it was educating, and I was relieved it was neither an 80's style fitness video, or simply some sexually charged shots of sweaty and rippling muscles (although I was curious why no shirt was worn at 0:30 in the garden).

I just want to add my two cents and it's very similar to what all others already mentioned. The idea was good and choice of footage, audio and cuts in principle, too. Nevertheless audio quality was bad quite often. Same applies for the footage. Lot's of it seems to have been taken from a bad cell phone camera by somebody who wasn't experienced. It seems as if you took the footage you had from somewhere and did not film with a vision of what you want to reach considering the final video.

Try to use a tripod to make shots less shaky. You can use it for stills as well as for an improvised shoulder or steady cam.

Another with 3000 views in the first week - I just feel like we being used. A similar titled video (suggested on the right) had this many views in 2 years! Can you explain this?

But just in case I'm paranoid, my critique would be that your film making didn't live up to the music here, you never changed pace for starters. You have to deserve to use certain music, this didn't.

Motivation gret! Video edit is not so good man. I bet you used Movie maker to do it

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Keeping viewers interested - firstly - who is your target audience? Your script/content has to be balanced to match this. What will keep a general audience interested will quickly bore a "fitness" audience and what will keep them interested will quickly lose a general audience.

You've clearly put a lot of work into providing a wide varierty of shots. This is good.
    However, you could do with learning some basic rules of composition in particular look up the "rule of thirds" and "leading space" - this will immediately give you more pleasing shots.

Something like this probably wants more transitions and effects than I'd normally use (which is none) but this has a miss-mash of different ones. Try to limit yourself to two or three transitions and use them consistently (ie always yse the same type of transition when you are going from (say) location to location and a different one when you are going from (say) exercise to exercise.

The titling at the begining was horrible. Use clean, clear titles. Fancy title can be good if you know what you are doing, but they need to convey a message and the sort bundled with the likes of Pinnacle Studio simply don't cut the mustard. This is why some people make a living out of "just" providing graphics.
    Thank you very much for your feedback.
    Target audience is anyone who likes exercise/fitness. but really I would like to engage a general audience as well.
    I will look up those rules of composition. I know I started to film this with zero experience.
    the reason I used different transitions is because I knew it would get dull with just one or two different kinds.
    I will try to tighten up the writing for the next one.

thanks again for the feedback!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnh4 View Post
    the reason I used different transitions is because I knew it would get dull with just one or two different kinds.
    That is how most of us start off, so you're in good (and bad!) company. It seems logical. But you'll soon start to see that loads of different transitions is definitely not the way to liven up an edit. Vary the shots, vary the pace. but dont go overboard with transitions. Watch any highlights or "feature" edits of sports programmes and analyse them - I suspect you'll be surprised how few transitions they use - even those that seem to be little more than transitions.

I suspect that this is partially because a selection of different transitions actually works against any sort of style you are creating within the video.

Kids programmes are also often a good source of inspiration for keeping it lively.
    The more outlandish transitions tend to be kept for titles.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-14-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Great advice from Tim. I will just add look at the video with the sound off and ask your self, do the images stand up on there own. At those point you put effects, was that because you thought the image wasn't very good. If you find that to be true then editing alone isn't going to make your videos better. Try and find someone who really knows how to use a camera, someone that knows about long shots, mid shots and lots of close ups. Try more interesting and unusual angles. Have pin sharp focus, frame the shots right etc...

Once you have these sorts of shots you will find the editing side of things much easier without adding bells and whistles to try and spruce it up.

I personally liked the quotes and the massive music in this video but it's the sort of thing you can only do once and you've now done it so you will have to think again using the advice Tim has given you above.

Why not ?
    Yes you are right. I basically shoot the film with my phone by whoever is around me. This tends to be my bud who uses a still shot (attempts to make it still, but sometimes it's shakey). Since I'm not doing the filming, its hard to know how it will turn out. So I basically just use the best clips I have, and edit the pieces a lot to give it more vivid animation. I know you are right that too many bells + whistles can add too much noise and wash out the signal of my message. I thank you and Tim for the advice so far. Will try to improve on my next project