Thread: Data Rate and Bitrate

1. Default Data Rate and Bitrate

what is the difference? The two most things you here about with videos is there resolution and bitrate. But why is bitrate always under audio in the specs of a video file and data rate is the one under video?

Why is that with divx and xvid and other .avi encoders the audio bitrate is always the standard 128, or 192 or 320 but with .wmv files the bitrate is up in god knows where land almost identical to the data rate of video? It says that even when I select something like 128kbps Stereo 44000hz?

is there a noticeable difference between 16-bit and 24-bit video?

because wmv is crap.

Possibly the audio's VBR and it's showing you the peak value, whereas an avi will show you the average bitrate of the audio.

as for the data rate/bitrate thing, it's just different words for the same thing by the look of it.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Blog Entries

Default Re: Data Rate and Bitrate

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterKaja
    Why is that with divx and xvid and other .avi encoders the audio bitrate is always the standard 128, or 192 or 320 but with .wmv files the bitrate is up in god knows where land almost identical to the data rate of video?
    That isn't correct. You can have any audio bitrate with any video bitrate. What are you using to encode?

4. Default

I Cant use anything else then wmv, all my darn encodes come up black withi xvid or divx it frustrates the heck out of me, with wmv it always comes out good without going through alot of hastle.

Marc I know you can choose any bitrate but the point is when you encode with those, if someone picks 128kb/s it will show 128kb/s next to the bitrate, you choose 128kb/s bitrate for wmv and it either wont do it or it just doesnt say. I have not seen one wmv file, NOT ONE where the data rate was like 1000 and the bitrate was the casual 128.

you're doing 2-pass encodes with xvid, right?

if you do the first pass only, you might end up with black screen+audio...
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Blog Entries

Marc I know you can choose any bitrate but the point is when you encode with those, if someone picks 128kb/s it will show 128kb/s next to the bitrate, you choose 128kb/s bitrate for wmv and it either wont do it or it just doesnt say. I have not seen one wmv file, NOT ONE where the data rate was like 1000 and the bitrate was the casual 128.
    The "daterate" IS the "bitrate". Every single WMV encode I have created has a audio bitrate different from the video bitrate.

7. Default

Well yes they're different then the data rate, but they're not the normal stuff. Forgetting the fact that I specifically pick 128KB/s for my audio bitrate and instead it ends up to be 400 or so if I choose 500Kb/s as my data rate. Everybodies wmv files end up like that and im wondering why wmv and nothing else. I have atleast 100 wmv files other people have made on my computer. When I look at them they're not 128, or 192 or 320 like most people pick, they're always not that far behind of the data rate. If I pick a data rate of 1000 the audio bitrate ends up somewhere between 500-800 and Im trying to understand why that is.

Yes I've done two-passes, i've done every combination of something I could think of I even followed a suggestion to somebody else and it still comes out either messed up or black.

Can someone give me an example of an xvid setting that is supposed to work?

Blog Entries

Everybodies wmv files end up like that and im wondering why wmv and nothing else.
    This is not the case.