Thread: Bank Holiday Fun in the Sun

Blog Entries

Default Bank Holiday Fun in the Sun

We made the most of the sun on the Bank Holiday.

Blog Entries

I found this a rather inconsistent video for you Marc. There was a slightly desaturated look to many of the images which gave it a rather nice dreamy look but these didn't stay with us and the sharper, more saturated look looked disappointingly "video" by comparison. I wasn't sure about the soft focus effect used in shot 2. it worked while the title was present but gave the appearence of becoming more severe as the title faded (optical illusion). This was emphasised by the fact we cut back to the same scene two shots later - this time without the soft focus.
    I liked the composition of most of it and I think it really suited the wider screen. However the wider screen also really emphasises the horizon and I'm afraid this was virtually central in several of the shots (in 1:02 it also cut the adults in half at the waist and sat exactly on top of the little girl's head).

But i'm sure you're aware of all that and when it comes down to it you were there for a day out with family and friends - not to make a text book perfect film. The fact you made a film at all should be praised. (My excuse is I was at work)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    However the wider screen also really emphasises the horizon and I'm afraid this was virtually central in several of the shots (in 1:02 it also cut the adults in half at the waist and sat exactly on top of the little girl's head).)
    I hadn't even considered that. Too many things to think of!

I was really disappointed with most of what I had filmed, particularly as I had planned to make a nice video - I spent too much of the little time I had on too similar wide shots. But the worst of it all was that I lost my wedding ring :-(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    But the worst of it all was that I lost my wedding ring :-(
    Nooooo! You will never be forgiven!
    Tim

Oh nooooo about the wedding ring.

I say this only because your stuff is usually such a high standard. This video did lack something, which I think you already mentioned, to many wide shots. If it's a capture of the people's day out you should have more close ups. If it's a look at how lovely this beach is video (and it does look like a nice beach) then the wide shots are right. It's not a bad video at all but since I read Tims post about the horizon being in the middle of the frame I had to notice it.

I always like your music choices Marc, where do you get your music from ?

I have to agree that the changing effects you applied were a bit confusing. The Vignette at 00:20 is a bit too much and I did not get the purpose of the left mask at 00:30.

The music was fine and the shots in general lovely. I wonder how you arranged your "actors". My family tends to vanish leaving only a dust cloud as soon as I set up a tripod.

Concerning the ring buy a metal detector on ebay and re-sell it after you found the ring.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I say this only because your stuff is usually such a high standard (and) where do you get your music from ?
    You always say that Dave, so I think my usual stuff can't be that high a standard

I spend a few hours every week exploring new music. It means I have a massive library to choose from across a really broad range of genres.

So, to summarise the feed back:

Greater consistency in matching the colour correction, grading and effects (I did a lot of playing to try and get a uniform look, but more work needed!);
    Better composition when there's a gigantic horizon dominating the frame; and
    Don't forget to pack a longer lens when you're excited about a new wide angle one

It's likely the ring is at the bottom of the English Channel, so a metal detector would need to be combined with a boat and diving gear

Re getting people to behave when filming. I have no idea! I tend to just get on with filming and let them decide if they want to be part of it. Once they understand it's about capturing the moment, they soon come on board. Plus my mates don't recognise me if I'm not behind a camera.

You always say that Dave, so I think my usual stuff can't be that high a standard
    I say it how I see it, I think your standard is deceptively high, in both camera craft and editing. I think you've got a good eye for a shot and know how to get the shot from the camera. You also have an empathic understanding in your editing to get the right emotion from a piece. I don't think this isn't something you can be taught, it's one of those qualities you've either got or you haven't.

I say it how I see it.

Blog Entries

A story and a film about a search for a ring ... I wonder where i've heard that before ... ?
    Tim