Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaser Trailer for Horror/Kung Fu Film - 'Profeile In Darkness'

Default Short Film - Horror/Kung Fu Film - 'Profeile In Darkness'

Teaser trailer for a short film I made in 3 days in the Scottish Highlands. Full film will be online next week. Comments much appreciated.

(TRAILER can be viewed on www.youtube.com/gdn35)

Edit: Here is the full film now available to watch!

Last edited by gdn35; 09-02-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Although it doesn't tell us what the story is, we can tell it's a tense action thriller of some sort. I thought everything looked really good up until the last shot. Man looks in a cupboard !

Is that the mystery that will get us to want to see the movie ? What was he looking at in the cupboard, is he all out of baked beans ? Sorry I'm only joking.

I thought it was good but a POV shot might have been good at around 21 seconds. I look forward to seeing the whole movie.

It got me being interested in the film but locations seem to be limited (especially for an action trailer) and I missed some more expression on the actor's face.

Appreciate the comments! I can also see your point Midnight thanks for watching!

Full film now online!

OK - I did not get the complete story behind it but nevertheless liked it in principle. The fighting scenes could have been improved but were better than in lots of movies. I really appreciate that you limited cuts there.
    I definitely would have included the knife scene in the trailer or at least a scene where he grabs a knife.
    Acting in general was not in particular bad but could have been better in general. Especially running could have been a bit exaggerated.

The filming and sound was good but I'm afraid all you've made is a vehicle for test shooting a fight scene. I thought the fight scene was good, well shot and cut together but there was no story. We don't know anything about any of a characters, what was going on and why it was going on. What was the licking of the knife all about ? The inference was that he had cut the other guy but there wasn't a scratch on him.

If you make a short movie it has to have some sort of story, preferably an engaging story. I'm not a big fan of movies without words as, unless the writing is excellent, it usually means no real narrative.

In short this is part of a movie not a whole movie.

Blog Entries

I agree absolutely with Midnight.
    What Midnight has left out (presumably because he has come to expect this from you by now, as hav I) was that a lot of the shots were very good. The thought that you gave to some angles, some shots clearly showed. Eg the cut at 3.23
    But it didn't always work and this made the lesser shots stand out.
    Most of the stuff inside the caravan looked really lifeless. This is a tricky one - the inside of a caravan is intentionally innoffensive, neutral, beige. It might have been nice to "dress" the set a little with an odd splash of colour (like the blood)
    Most of the exterior shots of the caravan were clearly off kilter. No excuse. You could even have fixed this in post.
    The cut at 2:53 was horrible. You cut from one shot to a very similar one. If you want go for a certain "style" you could deliberately jump cut if the two shots were framed exactly the same.Otherwise lok for at least 30 degrees between angles or a 30% change in zoom (my degrees and percentage - others may have different figures)
    Tim

Thanks for the replies everyone! The film does come across as a little incomplete but it's given us a basis to make something similar but much better in the near future! Critique is duly noted!

Blog Entries

I hate to be the "bad guy" yet again but brace yer sel'...

For me it was all about the story, or rather, the lack of one.

I get the impression that this was made so that three blokes can show their kick-boxing skills. Which is entertaining if you're one of the blokes but boring for the rest of the world.

First, get a script. That doesn't mean you have to have words but, for this type of film, you need a decent story. This is where 90% of these films fall down. There is no "point" to the film.

Secondly, what you consider to be "tension building" is often boring for the viewer. Long, moody shots often end up annoying the viewer instead of getting them excited. The first half was simply too long. After a while I was just thinking "Oh, get on with it!".

Finally, cut down the fighting. It is boring to most people. Yes, two people are pretending to fight, we know one of them will win, now can we speed it up please. As a tension-maker or exciting interlude, long fights don't work.

Sorry to be so blunt but, if you want your film to have a life of its own, it needs a story, it needs to get the interest of the viewer and it needs to hold our interest. Unfortunately, although it was technically better than most, it was poor on content.

Edit: But, despite my criticisms, please don't be disheartened. It is very well made and I believe you could make very good videos. I would suggest trying something different from horror/fight/bloody films which are being churned out by the hundreds and put you in the category of "yet another teenager" even though you are better than that.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 09-03-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast