Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragonfly Pond

Default Dragonfly Pond

Please note Mrs M is wearing one of Frankenstein's (the monster) boots, this is not camera distortion.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-28-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Lovely - I maybe would have dropped the scene at 1:22. It was a bit too much if the same thing as the scenes before and afterwards.

I didn't get a great deal of footage that day so I just used up what I did get. Like the shot of the flying dragonfly starting at 0:40 is way out of focus but more importantly I think I captured the flavour of the peacefulness of the day.

Thanks for watching.

i think you have captured the mood of the day very well MB ... however there isnt enough dragonfly footage... i would go back and grab some more also some of the existing footage seems a little soft ? also i would like to hear some ambient noise... birds singing, trees rustling etc, even if its low in the mix. kinda like a long awaited follow up to your Holy island film following mrs MB as she photographs the fauna
    Last edited by enc; 08-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing Dave. Personally, I would have had no or minimal footage of the dragon flies. This was all about Mrs Midnight and Midnight Jnr spotting and taking photographs (those scenes were lovely and I wanted to see more of that). I would have told that story and ended with a very short montage of shot's that were taken on the day.

I did not like the first shot of the insect merrily flying amongst lots of out of focus leaves. That pain ended around 0:49, where I saw a lovely breathtaking close up. Indeed, I thought it was a still image until it moved!
    I liked the reflections on the water showing lots of details. Once again MB's style encourages my eye to look around a scene and admire it without the horrors of seeing swathes of over and under exposed shots.
    However (yawn yawn), speaking from my limited experience and entire lack of skills; I detected minor non-smooth panning [0:07-0:20]. Normally, I would put it down to some codec inefficiency, or lack of internet connection speed, or simply an unwell camera operator.

All good points enc, I had forgotten to sharpen the footage which I have found is needed for some types of shots because I set the camera soft to help reduce the moiré effect. I think you are right Marc, this was more about capturing Mrs M and little Miss M having a nice afternoon out. I couldn't show any more dragonflies because I could only get three of them to sign a release form.

Tim you are correct the pan was not very smooth. In my defence and an attempt to justify this, my laggy band had snapped so I had to move the panning handle with my very shaky hand. No excuse really I should have brought a spare.

Aberdeen, Scotland

Beautifully shot. Your panning techniques are quality. What camera and editing software do you use for this? Looks really professional.

I think you are being too kind BUT thanks anyway.

For this video I used a Nikon D800 with a 28-300mm zoom lens. The software (which is not really relevant) is Sony Vegas Pro 12.

London, England

Default Settings..

Nice to watch, very pro results too.

However the "Looks better on..." ad covered the RHS until I went full-screen.
    Which makes me wonder....why do players offer a Volume Control, but not Brightness, nor Contrast (and maybe throw in colour Temp, too? ). These aspects are just as variable between PCs/Devices . . . and one might argue that Volume is usually easily controlled, whereas the video control is hidden . . . . but not for any good reason, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast