Thread: How do I get this look

Default How do I get this look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goke-_sMXNM

Is this video a simple 3 point lighting with a backdrop and color correction post edit?
    Thanks

That's not quite it. It looks to me like one light source acting as a key light, possibly a window. Look at the shape of the light in his eye, it's either a window or a square soft box. There is no back light and doesn't appear to be a fill used but that's hard to tell there may be some fill bouncing off a nearby wall.

The back ground is lit by the same source key light but is flagged to make the shade on the left and lighter on the right which is the opposite sides to the lighting on the face.

This, as you say, is then colour "uncorrected" in post.

Blog Entries

It was an interesting look, but I found I tired of it very quickly - my eyes were forever being drawn to the light areas (as expected) but this meant thy were flitting between the right half of the man's face (as we look at it) and light on the background on the left (ormore accurately the movement generated against this by the semi-silhoutted side of his face).
    Anyone else have any views on the look.

As for "how" I've no experience with lighting, but Midnight's analysis would seem to fit. I'm not totally convince though as given how the light falls on his face I would have expoected to see his shadow further to the left of the screen, whereas it's almost directly behind him (which I would have thought would mean the key light would light the two halves of his face more evenly).
    Tim

I'm not sure what you mean by his shadow I didn't see any shadow on the back wall.

It's a pretty classic simple lighting set up for those who don't have a full lighting kit or time to set one up. I think the dark areas contrast nicely with the light areas. I've even used this my self when the space I was filming in was really small. I didn't make it quite so contrasty in my shoot but I think this works ok for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by his shadow I didn't see any shadow on the back wall.
    Watch the shadow over his right shoulder and into his neck. Its movement perfectly matches his. It's shadow!
    Tim

The catch light in his eye is from the keylight, a window would cast some daylight into the shot which would be blue, I only see tungsten.
    My preference it to keep the catch light in the eyes towards the centre, it looks a bit unnatural so far to the side.

Because it's been so heavily colour graded we don't really know what the light source is. It could be a window or a soft box. I guess we'll never know. Also the OP doesn't really seem interested in the discussion as he/she hasn't been back.

I would have expoected to see his shadow further to the left of the screen
    That depends on how close he was to the back wall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    That depends on how close he was to the back wall.
    Indeed but it looks to me like the keylight is at getting on for 45 degrees to the side (look at how much shadow the left hand side of his face is in) yet the shadow is almost immediately behind him. For the shadow to have been cast by that he'd have had to be right up against the wall and the shadow doesn't look to me as if he is. But this is all idle speculation. I'll need a light and a model.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I suspect that it is just one soft light,as Tim says, quite a bit to the right of the camera. Probably a Kino-Flo type with an egg crate or honeycomb to direct the beam.

His shadow would be out of shot (frame left).

The fill may be from a reflector or it might just be ambient light. It's nice and super-soft so I suspect it's from a reflector or poly-board. The image has been de-saturated and tinted so you wouldn't notice the original colour balances.

Edit. I like the look he's got, the subject looks really good and he's managed to nicely get the catchlight in both eyes, although the back wall is a tad too light for my taste as it draws my eye away from the subject.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-30-2013 at 09:15 AM.