Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a microphone

Default Need a microphone

I plan to add more voice commentary to my videos (like some of you suggested). Unfortunately I am not satisfied with my laptop microphone's quality. I tried my headset and (old) cell phone but the results were worse. Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced microphone?

Blog Entries

Personally I would try to get something like a secondhand Neumann TLM 103 or, if that's too expensive, a Shure sm58 or a Sennheiser e935 or e835 if you're ONLY going to use it for voice-overs.

Failing that, if you're looking for a general purpose microphone, there's a sticky in the "sound recording" section.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-25-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Phew most are way out of my budget. I think I could afford the e835. Beyond voice over I might want to record some sound effects but everything will be indoors so I don't think I am searching for a general purpose microphone.

Blog Entries

Those are the cheaper ones. Most voice overs are done with mics costing a thousand or more.

If you buy one of the above, you will never have to buy another close vocal microphone and will still be using it in 20 years time. If you buy something cheaper you will be disappointed in the result and constantly be "upgrading" and in the long run it will cost you a lot more.

Have a look on ebay but be very, very wary of the chinese fakes which are out there. If it sounds to cheap to be true...

I know what you mean and appreciate the "I am too poor to buy cheap stuff" attitude. Anyway $100,- is about the maximum I am willing to spend for the next few years. I might be able to get a used Shure sm58 from ebay for that price. After all it's just a hobby.
    Thanks for the advice they are appreciated.

Isn't the SM58 an unusual recommendation for voice overs Rob ? They are great stage mics, I've got one in my kit bag if I'm ever in a vox pops type of situation but I wouldn't dream of using it for voice over work, am I missing out ?

What about an AT2020 ?

Blog Entries

The SM58 isn't a "normal" voice-over mic but I know a few reporters who use them up close in the SNG truck because they work well when used close and still give a nice tone and because they are indestructible! I use the Sennheisers myself but know that the SM58 is popular on the SNG trucks.
    This is because you can get it close to the gob without it overloading and turn down the gain to reduce the background noises. Not done it myself (I'm a Senny Man) but if it's good enough for the news teams...

The Audio Technica range of microphones are very good. I've never used the At2020 myself but have heard good stuff about it. I've got a couple of AT mics (but not a 2020) and have always been impressed with them. I gather that the AT2020 is used a lot by garage-band musicians, especially for acoustic guitar which has a similar range to the human voice, so it should be very good. It will almost certainly sound as god as any of the mics I mentioned but just won't be as robust.

Can I plug the SM58 directly to my PC (using a 6.3 to 3.5 mm adapter) or do I need a mixer (which I already have)?

Blog Entries

The SM58 is a dynamic microphone which means that it doesn't need a power supply so it should plug directly into your PC. (with an adapter).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast