Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning

Default Lightning

Warning this could happen to you.

Blog Entries

Interesting trial. I loved the total black but brilliant white.

Camera & settings - all technical details, please ...
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-24-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Tim

Camera & settings - all technical details, please ...
    Well it was actually a two camera shoot. I've no idea what the setting where I was just pointing the cameras in the general direction of the lightning ! It was almost imposable to know where to focus as it was so dark. I know I closed down the iris to get a wide depth of field and so that the lightning wouldn't just be a white screen. The Panasonic only goes to F11 so that would be the setting. 25fps frame rate with what I think was a shutter speed was set to 1/50.

I thought I'd try and make something funny from the result but humorous videos are not my strong point.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-24-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Well that's rather boring! I thought you were going to provide a load of technical mumbo-jumbo that was way over my head so I would be wowed by your competence
    In truth I was impressed atr how sharp the fork lightning was. I then wondered how long a lightning flash lasts and came acrioss this:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/lfacts.htm
    So, it would appear that with a shutter at 1/50th you are likely to capture a number of "strokes" that make up the bolt, as each stroke lasts only a few microseconds. Hmmm...
    Tim

Yeah, yeah, I knew that and I picked the setting to exactly suite the specific conditions of that particular night in relation to the lux and timing of each lighting strike.

If you believe that I've got some sea front property in Switzerland I'd like to sell you.

I was actually filming that harvest moon that night to make a video to celebrate the Claude Debussy anniversary, Clair de Lune and all that. I noticed something flashing and thought it was a car head light at first, then it did it again and again. So I quite what I was doing and stated filming this light show which spookily wasn't making any sound. Then the rain came so I moved inside. I then realised I should capture some closer lighting. So I set the camera up in my porch were it was dry and pointed it at the lightning.

The main problem I had was dealing with my daughter who was a bit scared of the thunder, which was considerably loud by then and film at the same time.

The lighting itself is really cool but apart from that a bit too much of darkness for my taste.

I suppose that depends on what you see (or don't see) in the dark.

I thought it was really cool. The ominous deep pounding bass fit nicely.

I've just noticed you have to watch this in a dark space or you can hardly see some to the lightning at the beginning.

Well it's only a bit of fun.

Nice one. Filmed with full zoom or croped latter? You´ve got some really nice ones! We´re a few months from thurdestorms here yet.... The grass is quite dry right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast