Thread: A short japanese style video

Default A short japanese style video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YAmlpllf_s

haha, I made this a month before,hope you guys enjoy this short clip

and if you guys really wanna watch more, could visit

https://www.facebook.com/mandywongproduction

that;s my page~~
    Last edited by Mandy Wong; 08-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I liked the editing (with one major exception - see later), the colours and the look. The music was just right. Loved some of the shots and the acting was good. (Some may think it's not much, but getting those little looks from an actor can be very difficult.
    Overall I loved the atmosphere and the story ....

Now the not so good bits ..
    The shots of the boy were really good, pin sharp focus, great colours and great use of light to create shadows and definition. We could really see his confusion, his uncertainty and his fear.

The shots of the grl by contrast, whilst retaining some of the colour, looked decidedly amateur. they were blurry, out of focus. I did think it was just possible that this was intentional as she is an enigma, possibly a ghost or a figment of his imagination ... but the final shot of the empty ally is of a similar poor quality so that rather spoiled that theory.

My other grip is with the editing. I'm not entirely sure what conventions you broke but I'm pretty sure you were crossing the line all over the place. This had the effect early on that we were possibly watching two different male characters. For example the first cut gives the impression we have cut to another person walking towards the person we'd seen in the first shot. A little later we see him looking right to left at his phone - you then cut to him looking left to right - you have crossed the line of action (from his eyes to the phone) In fact you have cut to a shot which convention would show the person receiving the call! Look up 180 degree rule/ line of action and you'll understand.

If you can keep the good stuff and learn from this I think you could make some really good films in this style. Well done.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I liked the editing (with one major exception - see later), the colours and the look. The music was just right. Loved some of the shots and the acting was good. (Some may think it's not much, but getting those little looks from an actor can be very difficult.
    Overall I loved the atmosphere and the story ....

Now the not so good bits ..
    The shots of the boy were really good, pin sharp focus, great colours and great use of light to create shadows and definition. We could really see his confusion, his uncertainty and his fear.

The shots of the grl by contrast, whilst retaining some of the colour, looked decidedly amateur. they were blurry, out of focus. I did think it was just possible that this was intentional as she is an enigma, possibly a ghost or a figment of his imagination ... but the final shot of the empty ally is of a similar poor quality so that rather spoiled that theory.

My other grip is with the editing. I'm not entirely sure what conventions you broke but I'm pretty sure you were crossing the line all over the place. This had the effect early on that we were possibly watching two different male characters. For example the first cut gives the impression we have cut to another person walking towards the person we'd seen in the first shot. A little later we see him looking right to left at his phone - you then cut to him looking left to right - you have crossed the line of action (from his eyes to the phone) In fact you have cut to a shot which convention would show the person receiving the call! Look up 180 degree rule/ line of action and you'll understand.

If you can keep the good stuff and learn from this I think you could make some really good films in this style. Well done.

thanks so much~~~

i love horror thing ~

I agree with Tim's comments especially about the 180 degree rule being broken. Also try cutting just at the start of a turn or motion for a smoother edit.

There is some promise in your work.

I will do better next time about the editing problem, thx for pointing out

and i do hope all of u get the scary feeling of this video.

HAHA, coz i wanna do more horror stuff without using blood

What is "Japanese style"? Are Japanese videos any different to ones from, for example, China?