Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A time lapse from Dominican Republic

Default A time lapse from Dominican Republic

Hey folks

Here is the video my husband made. Let me know what you think

Updating this post with a full-length 20 minute film. Watch it before falling asleep...

Last edited by Irishka; 11-18-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Blog Entries

I am so bored of time lapse sequences. And then something like this comes along.
    To anyone else who's not watched it, it's a bit of a slow start - great images but gets a little samey after the initial wow has worn off until 2.30 when it becomes more interesting (clouds moving indifferent directions and different types of scenes) so worth sticking with.
    Tim

Brilliant colors and wonderful landscape but the takes are too long for my taste. The clouds moving into different directions are cool but some zooming and panning might have introduced some more dynamics.
    The water scenes could have profited from using a longer exposure rate (with ND filter) like in the later scenes. Currently the flickering waves distract a bit from the main scenery.
    The first half is a bit monotone because it mainly concentrates on clouds in the sky but I really admire the first sunset take. The colors are just ... wow.
    The light effects on the waterfall are great but would in my opinion have worked even better without a person in the image. Very nice star shots.

Your husband is a very talented man. The whole video is very good BUT it would be better if he cuts out the first half as the last 3 mins is great.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Brilliant colors and wonderful landscape but the takes are too long for my taste. The clouds moving into different directions are cool but some zooming and panning might have introduced some more dynamics.
    The water scenes could have profited from using a longer exposure rate (with ND filter) like in the later scenes. Currently the flickering waves distract a bit from the main scenery.
    The first half is a bit monotone because it mainly concentrates on clouds in the sky but I really admire the first sunset take. The colors are just ... wow.
    The light effects on the waterfall are great but would in my opinion have worked even better without a person in the image. Very nice star shots.
    Many Thanks for the nice words. But brutal ND filters during sunsets? I don't think so, no no no.. It is also technically impossible to shoot a nice long sunset as the exposure time increases dramatically and I will end up with 20 second intervals by the end. You will be fine with single stills, yes but for time lapse, it is a no no no.

The scenes are long because they are meant for the full length relaxing film

Husband

I maybe was not clear. The ND filter was a suggestion for the daylight ocean scenes, not for the sunset shots.

Oh, OK. That was the option in the beginning but in this case the fast moving clouds become blurry. So for day shots I used CPF and short exposures and wanted to leave the ripples from the wind and waters transparent. I tried many options including panning during sunset but trust me it didn't look better.... when we watch a perfect sunset we stay still instead of horsing around....in my opinion.
    Last edited by Irishka; 08-23-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't think XXLray "gets it" he comes from a quick-quick generation!

This is a video you have to take time over. Relax and enjoy it.

The length of the takes are fine. This is a video which you have to take time to watch and I think you've paced it well. There is no need to add gimickry or effects. Certainly no need to add ND filters which would blur any movement and with water you tend to end up with a strange misty-looking blur.

All-in-all I think it was a great, well paced, well photographed video and I really like it.

Just for clarification, a CPF is a Clear Polarising filter ?

I would like to through something in the mix just for the sake of discussion. While this video is very nice is it perhaps a little over saturated and sharpened ? This makes great eye candy and gives it an initial wow factor but does the HDR look that some of the shots have make it look too unnatural ?

Perhaps I'm just jealousy that I can't produce images like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would like to through something in the mix just for the sake of discussion. While this video is very nice is it perhaps a little over saturated and sharpened ?
    As you want to discuss this, I thought this was part of the attraction. I was going to say it gave a slightly other worldly look, but that's wrong. What the grading has done is given it a "heightened reality" look. I've never done LSD do I've no idea if the effect would be somewhat similar, but what this is doing is drawing attention to what is already there in nature/the images by emphasis.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast