Thread: cant capture/import files from my camcorder

Default cant capture/import files from my camcorder

Hello all

I am very new to video editing. I have a Panasonic VDR-M50 DVD camcorder that I have been using. Now I want to start taking my videos and making them into movies. They first problem that I have is that my camcorder does not have a IEEE1394 (firewire) port! [Relly wish I would have researched it more before buying]. Well anyway, I have to x-fer the movies to my computer via the USB. I guess.

I was told that I could take the recorded, finalized disk and play it and read/view/copy the clips via my DVD-RW or Rom drive. however, neither drive will read the disk.

The files, once I finalize the disk, are in .vob format. Also there are only 2 total .vob files and there are about 25 - 30 clips. (Like when I review the disk contents directly on the camcorder). My questions are how can I x-fer these .vob files to be edited. I did try to use one program to convert them to DivX, but the divx file from the 30 min disk turned out to be 40 GIGS!!! I know it should not be that big.

What do I need to do to x-fer these clips to my computer. I was able to get Adobe Premiere Pro, and would like to capture and edit them in here. Then burn them onto DVDs using my DVD-RW. HELP!!

Blog Entries

Welcome.

It's covered in the FAQ - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-faq-90.htm#9

Default VirtualDub Error message at save

Thanks for the info.

I downloaded both of the apps listed in the FAQ. I was able to successfully open the video into VirtualDub, following the steps listed. I selected Compression -> Panasonic DV Codec

when I go the "save as" the video, I get an VirtualDub error message stating "Cannot Start video compression The source image format is not acceptable (error code -2)

Can you PLEASE help!?!?!?

Blog Entries

Are you sure that you have set the video size to either 720x480 or 720x576?

4a) If your video is not from a DVD camcorder, you may need to resize your video to enable conversion to DV. If you get an error when trying to convert, simply select Video > Filters, then click Add and select resize from the list. Click OK. In the next dialogue box, set the New Width as 720 and the New Height as 576 (or 480 for those of you from North America and Japan). Set the filter mode to bicubic and click OK. This should prevent any errors.

Default how do I seperate the clips

THANKS! I was able to covert the the video and import it into Premiere. However, I have one other issue. The original video was composed of numerous "clips", turning the camcorder off and back during different events.

Is there a way to seperate the converted file (one big long video) back into the original clips? I want to keep the converted format, but have individual clips to edit, import, etc instead of just one long file. Can this be done? HOW?!?!