Thread: Is it possible to change the source file of a clip?

Default Is it possible to change the source file of a clip?

Hey guys, im new to the forum and a noob editing videos. The thing is, im editing a movie for a friend, making it shorter by removing some irrelevant scenes and stuff like that. I got the movie from a USB he had, and he told me to add subtitles, so i hardsubbed the movie and proceeded to edit the movie. After everything was done, he told me that the subtitles are too small, that he needs them bigger, but the problem is that if i can't change the subtitles for the current file i worked with, so i have to hardsub the one he handed me again, and work with that new subbed movie, but i don't want to re-edit it again because i did lots of cuts and added some transition effects, so i was wondering since im going to use the same movie, with the same length, can i just replace the source file or something like that so i don't have to re-edit it?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by djluis48; 08-21-2013 at 08:24 PM.

With Sony Vegas, if a source file is missing when you open a project, you have the opertunity to use a different file or choose a new location for the file etc. I don't know if this is true for other editing software.

Blog Entries

Right click on the file you want to replace (either in the timeline or the bin) and then click replace footage. You can then browse and select the disired new clip. Another way is to physically move the files on your harddrive to force premiere to take these offline. When opening the project, Premiere will ask you where the clips are located. You can then relink the media.