Thread: Hi - need recommandation on software purchase

Default Hi - need recommandation on software purchase

Hi,

I am pretty good at photos (I use a Canon eos dSLRand shooting RAW) and the editing software for that but I have not yet found the right software for video editing. Hope you can help So I consider myself a beginner when it comes to video edit.

I have used an old Hi8 analog cam (1993 ), an DV cam and am now the happy owner of a HDTV HDD camcorder (Sony SR12 creating AVCHD videos).

I have digitized the old hi8 (I did this a while ago and used an analog HDD recorder (for TV) that was able to copy to DVD. I then ripped the DVDs to my PC HDD thinking a dedicated video recorder would do the job just fine.
    Format: .vob files (as in the DVD) mpg2 with AC3 stereo sound.

The DV was ripped using a firewire connection and some windows software that made A LOT of small files one for each scene. At the time I was pretty happy about that until my edit software ran into a limitation on how many files it could handle. It would have been a fairly easy way to do cutting of entire scenes.
    Format: Claims to be DV format (Sony) even though the camera is a canon MVX250i. Sound seems to be PCM (mono ?).

I do have a divers mask with a build-in HD camera.
    Format: AVC / AAC (I am not going to use the sound - it will mostly be my own breathing ) so I will have to do a bit of sound track editing.

Now I also need the software to be able to handle AVCDM in the Sony flawour (h.264 seems to be a family of standards). Sound is surround 5.1 AC-3.

I also occasionally use my dSLR for video.
    Format: AVC / PCM

I basically only want to do some cutting to get rid of recordings of the inside of my bag, the ground while walking etc.
    The result could be DVDs for the old video and perhaps blueray for the new. I do have a blueray burner
    When I get better at this I will probably do some colour/expore corrections as well.

Any suggestions ?

Q2: I have not done a combine of these many small files coming from the DV because there are to many (gets lost in files) and because I have not found a loss less video format to use as "work format".
    What can I do to preserve quality while editing (like using .RAW and .tif for photos) ?

I have lots of disk space and a fairly new PC running windows 7 64 bit. So time and space will not be a problem I guess. I don't know if all formats have the 4Gb (32 bit) file limit. Disks are NTFS.

Freddy

Silly me... AVCDM should be AVCHD - funny spelly

Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere are a good start for your software. To preserve the quality match the project settings to the original video. Then, when rendering your finished video, use these same settings. Don't forget to match the bit rate. This should give you a good result. Because you are starting with AVCHD which is a highly compressed format to begin with, like a jpeg, you can not improve on this quality.

The mini DV format is a good format for editing SD footage. I don't know if you will be happy with the quality of the image if you try and upscale it to HD resolution. PAL DV resolution is 720 x 576. Full HD is 1920 x 1080.

Hope this helps get you started.

Thank you
    I will look at those two and compare specs I seem to remember having done a short (to short) test of them both. To short it seems

Upscale. I did not think of that, but actually my TV is full HD 1920x1080, so either the video or the TV/DVD player will eventually do upscaling. I suppose I will keep the old video in its native resolution to keep size down and to keep it as close to the original as possible.
    Which will be better technically?

Freddy

If the TV is full 1080p, You'll need a "player" which plays back a full 1080p signal to take advantage of it.

A regular DVD player just won't do it, Yes there are DVD players which try to "upscale" but it's hit and miss

Yes. It is surely not easy to upscale raster graphic at all and it is not even a "nice" even number like 2 (but 1080/576 (PAL)).
    I do have a fairly new Sony Blueray player and it looks OK when playing DVDs from it as well.

My thought was: would the end result be better if the PC did the upscale? The PC will have better time since it does not need to be real time and hence might be able to use more sophisticated algorithms. However if the PC will upscale the resulting file will be bigger i presume and it might not be worth it in terms of visible quality improvements.

Thinking ahead my own videos will be worth something to me and my family for years to come and the next generation TVs (4K) will be bigger and better. Upscaling to some current standard will only temporarily be of value. This again speaks in favor of keeping the video as close to the original as possible - or in a current loss less format. Up scaling to 1080p and then up scaling surely is a bad idea. So at least I will keep the unaltered originals for "future use"