Thread: Color Correction for 1st music video

Default Color Correction for 1st music video

In my last post I asked about how to not blow out the brights while filming outdoors in the blazing sun for a music video I am doing for a local band. We shot all the performance scenes outside and I was not able to buy an ND filter in time, so I had to keep the aperture up to 14. We are shooting the storyline scenes today (all indoors) that will be added to the underlying performance edit. I did some color correcting and what not, and this is the end result. Though I do plan on darkening the piano shot a tad. The client was extremely happy with the look of it, but I was wondering what you guys think?

I like the idea of them in old army uniforms is that what the narrative section is about ? I think the hand held look works for a piece like this. As far as the grading goes I would be inclined to darken it down and desaturate the colours. You could do with some extreme close up shots but I guess it's too late now.

One thing I thought looked wrong was the violin person, if people are going to mime violin playing they should make a go of trying to look as though they are really playing it. Once I saw this it put me off the whole video.

I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

(bear in mind I know little about video cameras; and my one only has two buttons and cost 50).

It looks as if the brightest areas are the artists' faces and fingers. And sadly, they are also amongst the most important objects in the scenes.
    e.g. @02:46, the player's face looks ok, but the backs of his fingers are contains clumps of white. (or @0:23 where his face is rather bright.

I realise this would mean that the 'almost black' areas will go wholly black. But, in this scene; the dark areas are perhaps less important; so perhaps no-one will care if they become a little darker.

I also suggest that some of the reflection from the faces and hands may be due to sweat or grease. In some circumstances, actors on stage with bright lights apply powder to reduce that reflection.

Agree with MB about the girl with the violin.... The music asks for more emotional playing!! Shes too quiet and holding the bow in a very wrong way!! And at the end (calm "radio" solo singing), shes playing but no violin sound is in the music.

The drummer singing to the air in a garden with that heavymetal voice looked a bit strange. Maybe a microphone with a stand, just to make him sing to something, could change this look?

Sometimes I missed the head tops of them, but its not easy framing outside and having to keep the instruments in the frame all the time. Easy to say after and from here, I know...

I would try a very different color grading on it just to see what happens!!! I have this plugin called "dull day" that gives a look like this: On this example its 50% of the effect, but I guess you can get what I mean. Desaturate as MB said..
    Last edited by TonyBR; 08-19-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate it.

As far as the grading goes I would be inclined to darken it down and desaturate the colours. You could do with some extreme close up shots but I guess it's too late now.
    I agree MB, we should have done 1 more take of everybody with an extreme close up, and I will do a darkening and saturation adjust and see if they like it better.

Agree with MB about the girl with the violin.... The music asks for more emotional playing!! Shes too quiet and holding the bow in a very wrong way!! And at the end (calm "radio" solo singing), shes playing but no violin sound is in the music.
    She is definitely not a violin player, and we will be masking most of the spots where even someone who doesn't know instruments c an tell she's playing wrong with the narrative shots (a trench, the singer on a horse and a surgery scene!!)

I have this plugin called "dull day" that gives a look like this: On this example its 50% of the effect, but I guess you can get what I mean.
    Is this plug in available for Vegas 12, and where do I acquire it?

I have to totally agree considering the violin player so nothing new there but I furthermore was confused by the singer playing the piano. The finger movement did not fit the music some times. Maybe this is just because he tends to shake is fingers.

The depth of field created by the high F value was appealing to me. It especially worked great on the intro. But just like others are "bokeh" junkies I like a high depth of field.

Thank you for the feedback XXL. It may be because he plays keyboards, but yes he does write and play it all. I do like a shallow dop, but I think in this particular video the high aperture setting does work well.

Its from NewBlueFX VideoEssentials 5 - Selective Colour NewBlueFX.com