Thread: What do I need to move over to HD video creation

1. Exclamation What do I need to move over to HD video creation

Hi all I have been video filming and editing with Vegas Pro8 in SD using a Sony DCR HC1000E, this has some nice features with manual zoom and focus and with the Lanc port works well with the stop/start and zoom controls on my Sony tripod handle. I am thinking of making the move to HD but am not sure what. equipment I will need to change. My PC has a quad core Intel processor and 4gb Ram
    I have a Plextor DVD writer, am I correct in thinking that I will need to move to Blue ray burner and replace my home DVD player connected to my TV.
    From what I can find on the interweb it appears that unless I choose a professional model of camera the Lanc port no longer seems to be part of the camera specification. Is there another way of connecting the tripod controls without using Lanc as I do most of my filming on a tripod.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    My apologies if this is not the correct forum.
    Regards
    Red kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

I'll try and break it down like this

- Do you want to product Blu-Ray disks of your movies
    Does the customer want blu-ray?
    Do you want blu-ray?
    If nobody wants blu-ray or you do not see the value with blu-ray, you might not need to make the move at all.

But yes, If you want to see HD movies on a disk, you'll most likely need blu-ray. Alternatively, You could get a box for your TV which can play HD movie files and connect to your TV via HDMI. There are various options for it.

- Camera lanc ports
    I've not seen any consumer grade cameras with lanc ports...I am keeping an eye on the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera which does contain a lanc port, It depends on how far your budget stretches for a camera.

- PC Hardware
    What model of quad core processor? Generally you don't need that much power as you will be working with highly compressed files but let's see.
    As for the ram, I'd consider another 4gb without a doubt, cheapest fastest way to get performance boost.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    I'll try and break it down like this

- Do you want to product Blu-Ray disks of your movies
    Does the customer want blu-ray?
    Do you want blu-ray?
    If nobody wants blu-ray or you do not see the value with blu-ray, you might not need to make the move at all.

But yes, If you want to see HD movies on a disk, you'll most likely need blu-ray. Alternatively, You could get a box for your TV which can play HD movie files and connect to your TV via HDMI. There are various options for it.

- Camera lanc ports
    I've not seen any consumer grade cameras with lanc ports...I am keeping an eye on the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera which does contain a lanc port, It depends on how far your budget stretches for a camera.

- PC Hardware
    What model of quad core processor? Generally you don't need that much power as you will be working with highly compressed files but let's see.
    As for the ram, I'd consider another 4gb without a doubt, cheapest fastest way to get performance boost.
    Thanks for your observations, I am still running XP 32 bit and my processor is 2.4 GHz Core2 quad., it will not recognise more than 4 GB ram.
    I had been looking at the Canon Legria HF G25 which does have Lanc. This however only has a 10x optical zoom and I would like a bit more as a lot of my filming is wildlife
    What are my options for playing HD video on the TV if not through a Blue ray player.
    It is beginning to look as though the changes to the ancilliaries will limit what I can spend on the camera.
    Regards
    Red kite
    Not enough time !!!

Blog Entries

The obvious camera for you then is the Canon G30 - various improvements over the G25 including 20x optical zoom.

I always (wheever possible) use a Tripod, LANC would be useful, but how much of what it provides do you really need when on a tripod. Many more consumerish cameras have a non-lanc remote control.

Afte SD I relly think you'll find HD tedious on your PC. t will work, but feel slow and laggy. The AVCHD or MP4 file types and codecs you will likely be using require quite a bit more grunt to de-compress and then, of course the decompressed images have so many more pixels. If you're just editing (no colour correction, fancy transition etc, it's perfectly doable (just set the preview screen to "Preview | Aut0) for teh timimg and only switch it fto Best | Full when you want to examine the image for quality with the playback paused.

Playback on a TV (other than BluRay):

You may have a Smart TV with a wireless capability for streaming from your PC.
    Laptop connected via HDMI
    Media player (plugs into your TV's HDMI and has a USB socket to accept a hard drive or a USB memory stick - or might connect to your home network to do the same)

It has always been the case that in changing from SD to HD the cost of te camera is the small part. However this does change as people replace other things in the chain anyway (like upgrade their TVs, PCs)
    Tim

5. Default

Hi Tim thanks for your observations, as video and DVD creation is just a hobby I am beginning to think that I may be better to stick with SD. I can't afford to change all the kit and have to rebuild the PC as well. I did have reservations about the PC handling the HD data because of the increased data volume, it handles SD nicely at the moment and the rendering times are quite quick for an hour long DVD. Perhaps I should look at a new SD camera. I do like to use the zoom and stop/start controls on the tripod.
    I can only assume that most people that buy the cheaper HD cameras do not do any editing and just playback what they have filmed straight to the TV.

Many thanks
    Red kite

Blog Entries

Can you not get some SD footage from someone and try editingit on your PC - just to see what the experience is like?
    If you decide to stick with SD, you can buy some really good cameras second hand for truly amateur prices (eg Sony PD150, Canon XL2)
    Tim

7. Default

Hi the Canon G30 looks a good shout and has the required LANC & X20 zoom, it does not seem to have the option to output in SD ( there do not seem to be any SD camcorders on the market now. )I have found on Amazon the Canon HF G10 that has the LANC port but only X10 zoom BUT it seems to offer the option of outputting SD.
    After browsing the web it appears that there are options for downscaling HD to SD but they seem fairly complicated and the results questionable.
    Has anyone experience of downscaling HD, I know people will say why would you but it saves changing all of my equipment and I need a camcorder with a bigger viewing screen.
    Regards
    Red kite
    Not enough time !!!

Many people have experience of going from HD to SD, Typically when burning a DVD disk not Blu-Ray.

You could throw the "HD" footage into your editor, then export an SD file as is, Then edit that file again for DVD.

Blog Entries

Why not download some footage from here to see how your PC copes with AVCHD video?

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads...asonic-HDC-SD9

10. Default

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I am rather taken with Tims suggestion of sourcing a good used Pro camera, they do seem to be cost effective and gives me some more techniques to investigate.
    Thanks to all
    Red kite
    Not enough time !!!