Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Symbol // Dolomites Unicycle Downhill Trip

Default The Symbol // Dolomites Unicycle Downhill Trip

Hi everybody
    Finally i got time to edit and upload my newest edit, which show a journey of riding a 2500m high mountain in Italy down with unicycles. It was a pretty nice day with a lot of sun, nice trails and i think also nice filming

Camera: Canon eos 550d with Magic Lantern and Cinestyle
    Lens: Tamron f2.8 17-50mm
    Equipment: mmc hague steadycam / Cullmann Nanomax 220
    Editing: After Effects and DaVinci Resolve Lite

I know that there is a little bit of
    distortion in some clips on the basis of the stabilization in AE, but i needed to stabilize some clips because they were to shaky...
    But otherwise i think is a relatively good edit (for me, I'm 17 years old...) and i like it, but i also would happy if someone can give me some feedback how he liked the editing, color grading, ect..

Greetings Fabian
    Shibby for life, chill for sleep...

Ihr seid doch verrckt

Now I need a camera crane (jib), too.

In general I tend to use too much of panning myself but I think some more stills would have been a good idea here.

The focus change ar 3:05 could have been faster. The focus at 3:43 should have switched to the biker. Same for 4:00.

I liked the video very much. The music fit very well.

I don't have a camera crane.. We mounted the 550d on the top of our tripod and pulled the camera from the bottom to the top..
    Shibby for life, chill for sleep...

Something odd about the cut of the first clip after the VO at 1:10. The focus is off at 1:45. It might have been nice to see the rider come into focus around 3:47

Just a couple of tiny nit picks for what is a very pleasant video. Well done a very good job and a special well done to the guy who carried the gear up the mountain.

WOW!! Some minimal problems of focus as said before, but your subject always amazes me! This monocycle "thing" is fantastic!! The only odd thing is you holding the brake lever all the time "there".... Great scenery and well planned shots 99% of the time. I would use 60p on the pannings perhaps...

Blog Entries

Very nice job. Shame it didn't come to more of a atural end (eg the obvious end of the journey, even if we don't see the rider dismont). I found the grading a bit lacking in contrast, but that's a taste thing really. My only concern here is that ou might be going for a "lack of contrast look" which is trendy at the moment purely because so many people have bought into this "shooting flat" thing without understanding that is purely to capture as much information as possible - it is not intended for viewing. Camera movement shots did seem jerky though (not your movement, but appeared low frame rate - see my response to Tony below.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    I would use 60p on the pannings perhaps...
    Showing my ignorance here - why? I agree many of the shots with camera movement looked stuttery, but they looked like they were playing back at a very low frame rate.
    As I understand it you'd only record at 60fps if either (a) you are going to play back at 60fps or (b) you are planing to play back as 30fps and want it in slo-mo.
    Unless you're going for slo-mo, how would recording at 60fps help here?
    And, more importantly, why are the pans so stuttery here?

(For PAL country read 50/25 fps)
    Tim

Hi Tim, no big deal on that. Here is a good explanation: http://www.videomaker.com/video/watc...r-and-exposure Im sure you know all that already, but here I go to pretend I can organize my retoric over it anyway!! Pannings are similar to objects moving, with the difference that what is moving is the camera, but a lot of details are changing places fast on your frames! (duh!) With 60p you "will" use higher speed (120 is from the basic 2X formula), what will give you more detail and produce a "richer" (in information) file. Yes, the main use people remember for using 60p is slow motion, but I always see it as a richer file to work with. Going back to drawing on books's corners, imagine a movement from A to B drawed on 30 pages, and then, the same movement drawed on 60 pages.... You have to put more details on the 60ps!!! But then we can get into the hosting problems, where Vimeo and YT will reduce your rate to 30fps anyway.... Ohh, and I like 60p to get the full 28mbps from the avchd too!

Blog Entries

Hi Tony, That's agood video which I've seen before. However, that is all about shutter speed.
    Surely, ff you film with a shutter speed of 1/120 you will see the same results whether you film 60pps or 30fps (assuming you're playing back at 30fps).

Doesn't filming at 60fps and playing back at 30fps simply mean that every other frame is "thrown away" (tearing out every other page in your book analogy)?

With regard to your final comment, are you sure you're getting more information (on the basis you're throwing 1/2 the frames away)? Take a look at this at around 7:15 which seems to suggest to me that suggests that with many cameras (dunno about your Sony) you are effectiely reducing the bitrate when going to 60p. this would make sense to me 28mbps over 30 frames = 0.93mb per frame, 28mbps over 60 frames = 0.47mb per frame (obviously this is not precise as it does not take into account compression so you cannot simply divide the rate by the no of frames, but you get the idea)

The only way I can (currently) see where shooting 60 for playback at 30 might have extra information is whwre calculating stuff based on previous/next frames might be needed - for example adding motion blur in post. In this instance I can see the extra infomation contained in the intermediate frames is genuinely useful (in the same way that it's better to film and edit in High Def even when the target is standard).

Tony, please don't think I'm arguing with you (your results speak for themselevs), I'm just trying to learn
    Tim

If I may make some observations. If you film at 1/120 shutter at 30fps you would have to set the shutter to 1/240 to make it the same when filming at 60fps. As was stated in the video link that Tony posted, shooting fast moving objects with a high shutter speed gives a sharper or less blurred image but makes the motion look unnatural. OR "video like". This is due to the lack of natural (what we see with our eyes) motion blur. I'm not saying this is right or wrong as it can be used to great affect in fight scenes and other action shots.

This is really the main point. It's all about the look of the motion you want in your video. I did an experiment showing what happens to footage shot with a high shutter speed and then slow it right down. I looks like a series of stills rather than motion. EXAMPLE look at this video starting at 0:39 you can see what I'm trying to say.

This isn't exactly scientific but shows my point. It's all about the look of the motion that you want.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast