Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: codec conversion quality problems

Default codec conversion quality problems

hi.
    i'm having problems getting an acceptable quality of finished video for you tube posting. i have edited on imovie4 (dv cam) [G4 mirror door 2x1ghz], and the video looks great when played in imovie. however when i try to convert it, it just comes out looking rubbish (massive square blotches). have tried different approaches; direct share from imovie as qt file, exporting the dv and converting it with prism at what seem to be the highest available settings, and flv. the dv is 5Gb(it's 24 mins), and the largest mp4 is about 200Mb. i only have osx10.4, so i can't use QT pro. Anyone please got any helpful suggestions apart from get a new computer? I'm guessing i need to end up with a file of about 400Mb plus, but can't work out how to get there.
    many thanks
    jp
    Last edited by jdrp; 08-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Why not use ffmpeg for conversion?

thank you; i have installed that. do you know any site which has a good explanation of how it works, re parameters and stuff. it's slightly more complicated than others i have used.
    thanks
    jp

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mov -s hd1080 -b:v 4096k -qscale 0 -ab 160k -ar 44100 -vcodec libx264 output.mp4
    -s is the scale. You can enter things like 1024x768 too
    -b:v 4096k is the video codec bit rate
    -qscale 0 is for fixed bit rate
    -ab 160k is the audio bitrate
    -ar 44100 is the audio sampling frequency
    -vcodec libx264 stands for h.264 codec

Does YouTube not accept the format that iMovie produces ?

when i try to compress it to a suitable size for upload to you tube it with i movie using reasonably good quality settings(as according to the you tube guide), it(imovie) tells me:- time left 2 mins. ...this then starts to rise until after an hour it's saying time left- 365 mins, at which point i cancel it and decide to seek advice,
    thank you
    Last edited by jdrp; 08-13-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrp View Post
    when i try to do it with i movie using reasonably good quality settings, it tells me:- time left 2 mins. ...this then starts to rise until after an hour it's saying time left- 365 mins, at which point i cancel it and decide to seek advice,
    thank you
    Eeeks! I urge you to be clearer. "what" were you doing and "what" was saying '365 mins'? Were you trying to upload the 5Gb MOV file to YouTube?
    I would be interested to know what you thought about the MP4 which could be created using FFMPEG (as per XXXRay's useful post).

I know how frustrating video conversions can be. It is probably the least interesting area of making videos; and also the one which causes most frustrations. Whilst they won't perform any conversions, it is useful to have a tool which can analyse video files and provide technical details. Getting used to the terminology may help alot in the future, otherwise it can be a long wander around the internet's thousands of apps which claim to do conversions. The kind of tools I recommend are either (or both) GSPOT or MEDIAINFO. They are both freely available and worth using.

thank you .. i haven't understood ffmpegx yet.

It is normal for my upload to YouTube times to be 360mins or greater when uploading 25min+ videos. Just let it run it's course and see what happens.

This is not the best Forum to offer FFMPEG advice. But, this outline procedure might be suitable for Windows users:
    Download FFMPEG. Unzip all files into a new Folder. Copy your video file into the same folder as the executable file "ffmpeg.exe'. Open a Command Prompt. Change the path to point to the folder. Type in the Command suggested be XXXRay (of course, change "input.mov" to be your video's filename). Press enter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast