Thread: Film Festivals

Default Film Festivals

Thought this might be of interest to some of you - I've written a piece for Short Sighted Cinema about my experiences on the film festival circuit. My short film Driftwood has been screening at various festivals for about a year now and it's been quite a learning experience, especially when dealing with the larger events:
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes -

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

It's great that you're passing on your film festival experience.

I've been submitting to festivals for years now but with Driftwood, I wanted to take it to the next level. It's gone really well so far but, in retrospect, there are plenty of things I would have done differently. It's a lengthy, expensive process and having a strategy is important. Hopefully it'll be of help!

São Paulo - Brazil

Great text! Thanks for all the information! Over 100 festivals?? Congratulations!!!

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it! I should say that its 100 submissions and not screenings!

We haven't got in everywhere but at the moment we have been accepted at 44 festivals, turned down for 20, waiting to hear back on 40 and have been lucky enough to pick up 27 awards / nominations so far! It's been a fun few months and I've been lucky enough to attend a few of the festivals including overseas trips to Salento in Italy and Cannes which were both awesome experiences! Might write something about attending festivals next but we'll see!