Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to achieve this disappearing effect in editing?+

Default How to achieve this disappearing effect in editing?+

Hey guys,

I'm new here, so please bare with me as I try to explain what I'm looking for. Hoping I'm posting this in the right section.

Right so I came across this wedding highlight from a company and the last shot just left me thinking on how it was done. I have a little idea but before I explain it here's the link... It's the very last shot of the two couple standing together:

So at 2:50 you see a black car go past and can't see the couple soon as it drives past the couple appear and then disappear again once the white van drives past. This is obviously two shots blended together so for example they first got the couple to stand facing each other while nothing goes past and then took them out the shot and filmed some vehicles driving past. Now what I want to know is how this has been put together in post production? I'm guessing Adobe Premier Pro and used some sort of 'blending mode' but not entirely sure...

If anyone know's I would love to know how it's done as it's a great idea/concept!

Thanks for your time guys, look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Shoot the scene with the couple in it then Without moving the camera shoot the scene without the couple you can then easily blend the two tacks together. Make sure the shot without the couple has a van driving in front of the camera or some other obstruction. As it's doing that remove the shot of the couple. Please note you will have to know how to mask some areas of the image.

Please ignore any ideas of shooting the couple on a green screen if they come up after this post, it's so much easier this way.

Christ on a bike...is that really a wedding video? must have had a budget to match Avatar
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

As MB says, locking the cam off and sending the same van around twice, once with them in, and once without them, with a simple cut between the shots. I would imagine the complete wedding video went on for hoursssssss, but the big budget weddings are nothing new. 10k on flowers and 200k for a wedding day are getting more regular.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Christ on a bike...is that really a wedding video? must have had a budget to match Avatar
    Haha, yeah a lot of clients these days are doing their weddings abroad.

@Midnight Blue, Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it, I thought it might have something to do with masking but wasn't sure if that's possible with film editing. Will have to look for some tutorials on masking some footage in/out. I'll search this forum if not good old Google will do lol

Masks? greenscreen? - A marker on the road and send the van round twice KISS.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Yes, that would be a great simple way of doing it.

The OP may find it useful to download the clip; and use video software to examine the frames. The transition occurs in the few frames as the rear wheel passes in front of the people's feet. All over in about 4 frames.
    I think they did it by getting the couple to jump up and hold on to the side of the van

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I think they did it by getting the couple to jump up and hold on to the side of the van
    Most definitely the simplest solution so far.
    Even simpler would be if they genuinely disappeared by magic!
    Tim

Even simpler would be if they genuinely disappeared by magic!
    I think that should be followed by "I'll get my coat".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast