Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Video/ Song shot with a Canon 650D. Feedback needed please.

1. Default New Video/ Song shot with a Canon 650D. Feedback needed please.

Hello all, i'm a singer/songwriter from Northern Ireland and just wanted to share with you a new tune i put together a few weeks ago called Tonight.
    I was lucky enough to be invited over to perform in Nashville USA at the famous Bluebird Cafe back in June and it was that trip that inspired me to write this song.
    Its a pretty chilled out tune with a summery feel to it.
    Check it out below if you have a spare moment for new music.
    All feedback welcome

Chris Keys - Tonight (Live)

Cheers
    Chris

http://www.chriskeys.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/chriskeysofficial

Nice song and nice video.

If you do another one like this it's probably best if you don't light yourself from below as it gives you a shadow below the eyes. Also if you position yourself away from the back wall this will help prevent the shadows from distracting so much.

3. Default

Hey great point!! I didn't really think about the lighting to much or the shadows
    Ill keep that in mind for next video, Cheers.

Chris

Blog Entries

Agree with above.

I particularly liked the shots of the Tele from the body end (eg 3:37). The mix of B&W and colour worked here (often it just seems as if it's thrown in for variety, without motivation - here it shows different takes/times)

"The eyes are a window into your soul" - but unfortunately thay are closed for most of this. Introspective is OK, barimg your soul is better!

The camera movement wasreasonably smooth (I'm guessing very smooth handheld rather than not-so-smooth slider) but the edit ratehr spoiled it. All too often we saw the camera move in one direction and then go off in another. This rearely works unless the change in direction is due to the action it is following.

I quite like the subtle sound of a vibrato generated by vibratoing along the length of the fretboard. But this does rather wear grooves into the frets and you'll be paying a fortune in refrets!
    Tim

Eyes closed is a no-no for video, it's like you're not there, so I didn't want to be there either.

Bland visuals and edits. Your director needs shooting.

Decent song, but this isn't the way to display one, I would have mashed up some of your footage from the Nashville trip, would have made the B&W make sense too.

6. Default

Hello Tim, thanks for taking the time to check it out.
    I know its a pretty simple video, mainly wanted to showcase the song.
    I will be making a proper video for the single version!
    You guys really know your stuff

Thanks

7. Default

Hi Stripe, i am the Director at the mo and the editor and the artist : )))
    Its the only way i can do it at the moment!
    Hopefully i can a ford some one to shoot the single version of this song for me soon as i don't really have a clue thou trying to learn as i go.

Chris

Very good. Thanks for posting it here.
    Sometimes I find the distortion of wide lenses feel wrong, e.g: around 0:58, there was a very long looking arm.
    Most shots included a head. I appreciate there were no shots from behind (e.g. over the shoulder), but I wanted to 'see' something more (I got bored looking at the faces/heads). I found the movement of the cam very pleasing. It appeared to move gently and in sensible directions.
    I know guitars sit on the lap, but at 2:43, there appears to be a crotch shot.
    I think the colour/bw stuff certainly helped, but for a 4:20 song I wanted to experience more.

I suspect this problem has haunted filmmakers of accoustic guitar singer songwriters for decades; giving rise to entirely unrelated shots such as a woman walking through a cornfield. Personally, I like closeups of musician's fingers and their guitars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I suspect this problem has haunted filmmakers of accoustic guitar singer songwriters for decades; giving rise to entirely unrelated shots such as a woman walking through a cornfield. Personally, I like closeups of musician's fingers and their guitars.
    How true ...
    Tim

Hey Muso, you don't have to pay people to film a music video, I'd rather have average footage that has a purpose, than pay someone for beautiful shots that are usually aimless.

Paying someone for an original idea could make sense, but I imagine that costs more than a cameraman does.

Imagination is free, I have to act and film in my work, that kind of restriction can be a good thing rather than having an open book. Filming yourself only takes a bit of practice with settings that work, and it doesn't have to mean everything is static, movement can happen in all kinds of ways. It's also eternally convienient when there is only yourself to blame, because at least you're the only one on the payroll, and if you have to shoot it again it's not a big deal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast