Thread: Volkswagen Northwest at Tatton Park

Default Volkswagen Northwest at Tatton Park

Even by my standards this has been a slow brew !
    started collating footage at last years show and snagged some more at this years... last Sunday.
    Yes its a bit slow doesn't go anywhere and probably of little interest to non enthusiast..... how can i make it appealing to non enthusiast ?
    i have recorded a voice over but its doesn't sit neatly with my choice of music here.

To the casual observer some of these vans may look like restoration projects or scrappers even.... dont be fooled a fully restored split screen will fetch more than 35K. even a rusty basket case will go for 6K plus !!!

'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    how can i make it appealing to non enthusiast ?
    I think you need to get something of the enthusisam and reason for the owners/visitors enthusisam across - otherwise it's just a collection of shots which will only really appeal to enthusisats, as you seem to be aware.
    We all know there are enthusisats for all sorts of things, but we don't begin to understand or even be interested unless we hear them (or see them - which is quite difficult) enthusing.

As a non enthusisat, what interested me out of what you have was the shots of real rustbuckets followed by shots of lovingly restored absolutely gorgeous looking vehicles as well as the shots of people looking through parts.

I did find the shots of the new Audi (and even the vintage Porche) out of place - even though they were clearly present at the event. I'd suggest you make it VW only or make it much more of a mixture.

Very steady movement, in some of these shots, but we're so used to seeing stuff shot on sliders nowadays that any imperfection gives it away as handheld. The low down sweeps across parts (eg 0:26) seemed to work best (I wasn't sure whetehr hand held or steadycam, it was that good).

You also made an appearence in several shots - be careful of reflections!
    Tim

I was trying to put my finger on what it is about your work that is very watchable to me. There are some shots in this piece that are, purely on a by the book technical level, rubbish BUT in your hands they somehow work. The only thing I can think of is that you have a great eye for a shot and it's execution. An example of what I mean, the zoom at around 0:30 the opening framing is nice then you seem to zoom into no where but then land perfectly on the child. Is that just luck ? Had you seen the child coming and planned it? People like you make me sick. I work really hard at improving my camera craft and then you come along and seem to just breeze though a piece with ease.

There are some great shots, moves (human jib/slider work) great crisp sharp images etc. and I think the pace of the piece is just right for how it is right now with the music you have. I can see the VW enthusiast will be very interested with this piece just as it is.
    You did ask " how can I make it appealing to non enthusiast" simple answer, tits & ass.

On a more serious note, I would think you would need to half the duration if you want to keep the interest for the casual viewer. I have an interest so it wasn't so much an issue for me.

Nice one buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think you need to get something of the enthusisam and reason for the owners/visitors enthusisam across - otherwise it's just a collection of shots which will only really appeal to enthusisats, as you seem to be aware.
    We all know there are enthusisats for all sorts of things, but we don't begin to understand or even be interested unless we hear them (or see them - which is quite difficult) enthusing.

As a non enthusisat, what interested me out of what you have was the shots of real rustbuckets followed by shots of lovingly restored absolutely gorgeous looking vehicles as well as the shots of people looking through parts.

I did find the shots of the new Audi (and even the vintage Porche) out of place - even though they were clearly present at the event. I'd suggest you make it VW only or make it much more of a mixture.

Very steady movement, in some of these shots, but we're so used to seeing stuff shot on sliders nowadays that any imperfection gives it away as handheld. The low down sweeps across parts (eg 0:26) seemed to work best (I wasn't sure whetehr hand held or steadycam, it was that good).

You also made an appearence in several shots - be careful of reflections!
    tHANKS tIM,

the rust buckets ... believe it or not this is how the owner wants the car to look... tatty bodywork, lowered on air suspension with alloy wheels and up rated engines... Rat look as it is called on the VW scene.

ill probably take out the audis etc when i re edit the piece. even though the manufacturers fall within the VW group.

all hand held sony HX20V.

cheers for the observations
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

There are some great shots, moves (human jib/slider work) great crisp sharp images etc. and I think the pace of the piece is just right for how it is right now with the music you have. I can see the VW enthusiast will be very interested with this piece just as it is.
    You did ask " how can I make it appealing to non enthusiast" simple answer, tits & ass.

On a more serious note, I would think you would need to half the duration if you want to keep the interest for the casual viewer. I have an interest so it wasn't so much an issue for me.

Nice one buddy.

hahaha, nice one MB,

the zoom at around 0:30 the opening framing is nice then you seem to zoom into no where but then land perfectly on the child. Is that just luck ? Had you seen the child coming and planned it?

That took 5 takes ! ....or maybe i was in the right place at the right time

yes my human jib/slider work is a bit wobbly.... i need to brush up on my tai chi

oh BTW, what about the eye candy at 1.35

Unfortunately I can't watch it due to copyright issues think about using royalty free music e.g. Creative Commons CC BY.