Thread: How to remove Manfrotto head from tripod

Default How to remove Manfrotto head from tripod

For DSLR, we use the Manfrotto 486RC2 head on 3021BPro tripod.
    For my mom Canon XA20, we have the 501HDV head.
    Is it possible to replace the 486RC2 with the 501HDV head on the 3021BPro tripod?
    I took the setup to local shop and they told me the 486RC2 can't be removed from the tripod and recommended a $500 tripod.
    I normally take their advice. But after a bad day, I am in a non-believer mood.

Blog Entries

The head CAN be removed and you can do it easily at home.

Turn the tripod upside down. Where the head is joined to the centre column you will see a silver circular plate. On the bottom of this plate are between one and three screws (I don't know your particular model). Take them out. Then unscrew the head.

To mount the 501 simply reverse the process.

Rembrant Bob is bound to be right...almost anything that's been fitted (locically should) be able to removed...but maybe the Dealer knows something - like the screws are held in with Loctite - this may be to prevent users wrecking the tripod. However, if the parts look to be similar/compatible sizes then maybe the Dealer is plain Wrong - Isn't there a chart on the Manfrotto web-site (although I've found it very unfriendly!),,,before attacking what is a working tripod?
    Last edited by vidmanners; 08-10-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Blog Entries

I know the Manfrotto range of tripods intimately having been to their factory in Bassano three times in the last five years!

It sounds like the dealer doesn't know how to do it and can't be bothered to find out, that's why he has said it can't be done, so that he doesn't have to admit that he doesn't know.

The Manfrotto website is clear, easy to navigate and informative. It even shows how to change the head.

Here's the link: http://www.manfrotto.com/tripod-basics
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 09-27-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Dear Rob, Were you able to get the tripod removed? From the tone of your response it seems to still be lodged up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by perkysvelt View Post
    Dear Rob, Were you able to get the tripod removed? From the tone of your response it seems to still be lodged up in there.
    This thread is 4 years old and it wasn't Rob who had his head stuck.

In case someone else comes looking, my Manfrotto 055PROB tripod head came off with one screw.
    Attached Images Attached Images