Thread: AVCHD conversion and burning to DVD

Default AVCHD conversion and burning to DVD

I am using a Panasonic HDC-TM900 high definition video camera set for HG 1920x1080 recording. This camera uses the AVCHD system, and after editing results with the supplied HD Writer AE 3.0 software on my Windows 8 PC the finished product, with a file extension of .m2ts, and with a frame rate of 25fps, is excellent when viewed on the PC's monitor, or sent from the PC to my HD TV. However, the quality drops considerably after converting to standard definition and burning to DVD for viewing on a normal DVD player. Still scenes and those with very slow movement are not bad, but faster-moving people and objects have zigzag lines at their edges, also rapidly-moving horizontal lines. For the conversion and DVD burning I am using 'Wondershare DVD Creator', set for the High Quality option. I am clearly unimpressed with the results. If anyone can suggest reasonably easy-to-use software capable of producing good results with conversion and burning to DVD for viewing on any DVD player I shall be most grateful.

This just sounds like interlace artefacts, do you have the option to change the field order in your current software ? HD footage is shot either progressive or upper field first interlaced. Standard definition for DVD needs to be lower field first.

Thanks for your quick response Midnight Blue. No, I don't have that option I'm afraid. I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have for suitable software, which would have to include clear instructions for a novice like me.

4. Default

Take a look at ConvertX2DVD. Also check out this list of video converters

Thanks altarvic. I have used the trial version of ConvertXToDVD 5 to convert and burn to DVD my AVCHD video, and I am very pleased with the result. I shall now go ahead and buy the full version of this software. Many thanks again for providing such helpful information.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio (production suite) is pretty good and very capable which will work with those files . . Typically 35 Az or cheaper as the basic program. Get v12 suite as this also includes Sound Forge for Audio working. It's fully featured and does need some time to get used to Editing (but then so will any Software) -
    +Sony Creative web-site do a Free Trial which will prove yr PC is up to it. Check out the Tutorials and go through the 20--odd "Show Me How" Guides - these cover simple aspects of operating the software and force your mouse over the screen, so there is no cheating possible.

Sorry to say, but you will have to learn how to Edit . . . but it will reward you with far better vids, which will come as a bonus to the audience.

However, DVD is a lower quality than HD - so you should expect it to be somewhat softer . . . but most people won't notice the difference, unless they are shown full HD first. You should invest in BlueRay burner for the PC and/or use Memory Sticks (which are far cheaper being reusable).

After all, Content is King and if your stuff has good storyline then the visual quality is a little less important, However, first address the points made regarding interlace, etc. When yo Make DVD SVMS will give you many options, most of which can be left "As is" . . .
    Last edited by vidmanners; 08-10-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Thank you very much vidmanners for your comprehensive and helpful reply. As I have said, I have now purchased ConvertXToDVD 5 as suggested by altarvic, which I am happy with. However, I shall certainly look at Sony Vegas Movie Studio, and I note your comments with interest.