Thread: Rendering Help! (Sony Vegas 11 Pro)

Default Rendering Help! (Sony Vegas 11 Pro)

I'm trying to enter a film festival, and they are telling me that I need to send a DVD with the video in NTSC, and that the resolution does not matter. This is my first time doing any of this so I'm kind of confused..
    What settings should I render it in? The video is in 23.9 fps, 1440 x 1080 resolution.

I tried converting it to 29.970 fps and the video looked fine, so converting isn't a problem. I'm just confused with the file type, video format (codec), and just how to burn it to a DVD with the correct settings..

Quote Originally Posted by Max Kang View Post
    This is my first time doing any of this so I'm kind of confused..
    This time, it might be easiest to use Tools > Burn Disc > DVD. Select your video format and aspect ratio.
    Read Vegas Pro online Help (F1), Creating a DVD from the Timeline.
    Use a rewritable disc while testing.

Besides online Help, for more info and future use do a "Search" on the SCS site (under Support / Knowledgebase) and read the SCS KB articles Nos. 5079, 1105, and 84.

Re Vegas Pro 11, most users have the best editing experience with either build 700/701 or 682/683.
    Last edited by vkmast; 08-07-2013 at 09:51 AM.

vkmast is right in what he says above. Remember a DVD is a standard definition resolution so for NTSC you would render the video at 720 x 480 widescreen, in an mpeg2 format. There is an mpeg2 template called "Program Stream NTSC Widescreen" which has all the right settings for you.

Don't forget to read the references that vkmast has written.

I was just confused because they said that the resolution was up to me..

Also would 23.9 fps work for ntsc?

No, not for a DVD. The standard for NTSC DVDs is 30fps (29.970fps).

If you were making a BluRay disk then that would be ok.

Blog Entries

Let's just be clear here.

If they say the resolution is up to you, they may just be suggesting you provide the video on a DATA DVD (in which case you can provide any type of file you lke). Whilst unlikely, yhis is the only reason i can think of where they say the resolution is up to you.

What vkmast and Midnight have assumed (not unreasonably) is that they want a VIDEO DVD (ie a DVD which will play in a domestic DVD player) which has very specific reqolution/requirements.
    Tim

If you have it, I would just through the file at DVD Architect and just let the program handle the compression. For some reason if I make a disc at once DVD from Vegas Pro, it always comes out with a really low bit rate.

If one were to enter a film festival, I would assume (again ) that one would want to do some editing first, in this case in Vegas Pro.

I haven't checked the bit rate that the creating DVD from the timeline uses, but my guess is ~6MBps that Movie Studio Make Movie seems to use.
    Btw, the 0,192 MBps minimum in the VBR template preset render seems too low indeed.