Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get from YouTube series idea to finished professional looking product

1. Default How to get from YouTube series idea to finished professional looking product

I have an idea for a series of YouTube videos. I was wondering if anyone with experience doing anything similar would be able to advise me on what steps I should take from the idea to getting a professional finished series of videos.

I have currently been researching lighting, shooting and editing techniques from the production101 website but not sure what to do to get it from idea to ready to film.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Do you realise how general that question is. I think I understand what you want but you will be better off asking specific questions about the different areas of video production. A lot of your equipment choices will depend on the location of your shoot,.ie If you are studio based or roaming around etc. Also the budget will have a bearing on this.

I would start with a storyboard. Then maybe make some test shots to get to know camera and equipment. Let some friends play the scenes to learn how things work.

Afterwards it's time to acquire actors.

It's usually recommended to publish on a weekly basis (but it also depends on your content). Thus pre-producing the series might be a good idea.

Did you already set up a Youtube channel for the series? Then you should make up your mind for branding. Create Channel art, end slate (active outro) and custom thumbnail style (which will need your account to be a partnered one).

Research where you can promote you series. At least you should join the Google+ Youtube creators community. Maybe create some teasers to build up a subscriber base before you actually launch the series.

It is worthy considering other 'series', whether on YT or the TV, whether about cooking or history. If a viewer sees one clip, then they may expect all the other clips in the series to maintain the same quality, looks and general time length.
    If they don't like one, they may not watch any others.

In this Forum, we often see the first one or two of a series. Often badly made and with the promise that 'the next one will be better'. I wish more creators would create all their episodes before releasing their first. Getting a consistent quality seems to me to offer huge benefits.

On the practical side, it may be worth working to create one and asking peers (like on this forum) for their reviews and opinions.

Blog Entries

Most TV series film a "pilot". In other words a test. I honestly suggest you do the same. Just have a go with what you have available or can get hold of. see how it works, see how it feels. Post the result here and get feedback, then move forward.

I know what you want. you want to film one or two episodes, the episodes to go viral and then you can get finances and "settle in" to continuing the series.

This will not happen.

The websites, books and blogs which tell you how to do this are, without exception, written by people who have not "made it". Ignore them, they know not what they are saying.

The horrible truth is that (to quote Tiger Woods) "You need to be lucky, and I find that the more I practice and the more effort I put in, the luckier I get".

Blog Entries

AGAWhitty - the above posts are some of the most succinct and useful posts I have ever read on this forum (and this forum has a much higher than average number of succinct and useful posts)
    So - storyboard, test shoot, get your actors (make sure they can) shoot a pilot (not of the aeroplane you are flying in - that would be silly), send it around forums for criticism. Review and improve.
    Repeat.
    Once you have a format/quality you are happy with, record a series - with consistant quality, prodiction values and length.
    Then unleash the first on your public.

Nothing new here - just summarising the excellebt advice above.

(In the same way that Tiger Woods, if he did say what Rob suggested, summarised and expanded upon the original quote before (attributed to Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Tom Watson - and no doubt others, but certainly first uttered before Woods was born )
    Tim

You should not be too conserned about doing professionally finished video if this is your first one. It won't be. The key is to love what you do and keep doing it again and again. Just try to learn something new every time, try not to repeat your mistakes and things will improve. It is hard if not downright impossible to just do succesfull series from a scratch unless you already have a ton of experience on the matter. As others suggested, try something smaller to hone your skills, like pilot.

Good luck.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Do you realise how general that question is. I think I understand what you want but you will be better off asking specific questions about the different areas of video production. A lot of your equipment choices will depend on the location of your shoot,.ie If you are studio based or roaming around etc. Also the budget will have a bearing on this.
    Nope, I didn't have any idea how general my question is, I probably should have stated I have had no experience or knowledge in doing this so it was clear I haven't a clue about the whole process therefor unable to ask specific questions.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I would start with a storyboard. Then maybe make some test shots to get to know camera and equipment. Let some friends play the scenes to learn how things work.

Afterwards it's time to acquire actors.

It's usually recommended to publish on a weekly basis (but it also depends on your content). Thus pre-producing the series might be a good idea.

Did you already set up a Youtube channel for the series? Then you should make up your mind for branding. Create Channel art, end slate (active outro) and custom thumbnail style (which will need your account to be a partnered one).

Research where you can promote you series. At least you should join the Google+ Youtube creators community. Maybe create some teasers to build up a subscriber base before you actually launch the series.
    There is a lot of great information there that I have noted in my todo list.

Thanks!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    It is worthy considering other 'series', whether on YT or the TV, whether about cooking or history. If a viewer sees one clip, then they may expect all the other clips in the series to maintain the same quality, looks and general time length.
    If they don't like one, they may not watch any others.

In this Forum, we often see the first one or two of a series. Often badly made and with the promise that 'the next one will be better'. I wish more creators would create all their episodes before releasing their first. Getting a consistent quality seems to me to offer huge benefits.

On the practical side, it may be worth working to create one and asking peers (like on this forum) for their reviews and opinions.
    Brilliant! Thanks for the 3 things to keep an eye on for consistency in length, quality and theme. That will help in my planning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast