Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Postcard from the Lake District

Default A Postcard from the Lake District

Here is a video postcard I made from the Lake District.

This is now a newer version.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.

2. Default

Some fantastic shots there, would have been nice to see a bit more movement in the camera I feel. It was also a bit strange how the sound of the water only came in at one part of the video too. I would have liked to have heard more nature sounds throughout underneath the music.

The lake District is a beautiful place for sure!

I miss some zooming, too. Especially when there is not much movement. The first shot e.g. is fine for me as there is enough moving water. Second shot at 00:10 is a border case for me but as it is used for the title it's well chosen the way it is. 00:18 can be kept for the Wow effect from the stunning scenery.
    Is 0:28 from a photo? It might have added some depth if you took it from a tripod.
    0:44 is fine again with the moving water. But there are too many following static shots. Maybe 0:49 could profit from a zoom on the canoe.
    I like the panning at 1:10 along the vertical line and 1:15 is the coolest shot in the video for me. All these reflexions really draw my attention. Afterwards you again have too many static scenes.
    1:46 is again great as fixed perspective with the moving boat. 2:00 could profit from zooming out. The rocks make it very "solid".
    2:15 good idea to shift to the moving people in the background. Is 2:30 taken from a tripod and turned manually? I really like it but the shot after it is again too static for me. You could have zoomed out along the river.
    2:52 is cool again and 3:08 even better.

Sorry for the criticism but I wouldn't have written that much if I didn't like the video.

Thanks for viewing guys.

I did wonder about having ambient sound throughout but thought against it on this occasion. All the shots are video but the camera was a DSLR so that's an interesting point and shows the difficulty of a video like this when you are filming what is actually photo shots of scenery. I did do some panning to add movement but didn't want every shot like this. If I got the balance right of "static" shots is correct will be I feel a subjective thing.

I'm not sure what you mean buy "It might have added some depth if you took it from a tripod". The stone circle shots around 2:00 has 3 different focal lengths so unless you mean show the zooming out, we will have to agree to differ on that one. What it really needs is a slider or tracking shot but I was on holiday so only took bear minimum kit with me. All the shots are done on a tripod with manual panning.

Never apologise for posting your opinion, that is why I post my videos here. I will never get better if I don't get feed back.

Thanks again for viewing and commenting.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-01-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean buy "It might have added some depth if you took it from a tripod".
    When you shift through a panorama from photo the perspective does not change like it does when really filming it. Things in the foreground e.g. don't "move" like they would when turning a camera.

The stone circle shots around 2:00 has 3 different focal lengths so unless you mean show the zooming out, we will have to agree to differ on that one.
    I definitely meant showing the zooming.

I get what you mean, I suppose because everything in the frame was so far away, in this circumstance, you don't get much perspective change.

On this occasion a slow reveal (zoom out) may have worked but I don't have it in the can, it's the usual story of hindsight being the best way of seeing.

Normally I would never show the actual zooming as it is normally the mark of the inexperienced camera operator but I think in some circumstances it could look ok. If you look at the work of someone who has just got their camera you normally see tromboneing, zooming in and out, it's often a sign that they are trying to frame a shot while recording. I have disciplined myself not to touch the zoom while recording if I can help myself.

On hindsight this way of working may be too ridged.

Blog Entries

Midnight - definitely add a slider to your kit. Your composition and technique is great (blimey - you used to be only as good/bad as me), but as others have said, you need to get some camera movement into the shots where there's no movemen within the frame. I'd already simngled out the shot of "Lady Dreamwater" as the standout shot before I read Big Ray's post. That, and the shots either side were stunning.
    There was some contrast which didn't work perfectly for me (I'm being picky now). Some of the shots seemed really contrasty and crystal clear (like the aforementioned boat shot and several of the running water shots - and the ducks! You had ducks - gotta be a winner) but other more distant scenic shots were hazy. Both types were fine, I'm just not sure they mixed. Overall I preferred the clear shots - maybe I'm a bit more video than filmic (memories of Donny & Marie come flooding back)
    As far as the mxi of ambient/music goes, i thought you got it spot on - and a great choice of music too.
    Thanks
    Tim

Thank you for the enormous (not fully deserved) compliment Tim. By the way it's Lady Derwentwater after the lake it's on. I can't disagree about some shots would work better with a slider but in my defence and at the risk of repeating myself I was on holiday.

Donny & Marie I'll have to remember that one. So am I a little bit country or a little bit rock 'n' roll ?

I do remember your aversion to misty valleys from my Brimham Rocks video. I can only shoot what's in front of the camera.

Thanks again Tim.

Thanks for watching, I'm glad you like it.

Blog Entries

By the way it's Lady Derwentwater after the lake it's on.
    LOL. I read it as "Dreamweaver", looked closer and saw it was "Derwentwater", but nevertheless, by the time I got round to typing it had become "Dreamwater" in my head (which had also been affected by a little grape juice).

I do remember your aversion to misty valleys from my Brimham Rocks video. I can only shoot what's in front of the camera.
    Perhaps you shoudl go into partership with SSCinema, then he could get whatever landscape you want
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast