Thread: Sigma Lens 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom For Canon

Default Sigma Lens 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom For Canon

62.00 (2 Bids)
    End date: Tuesday Jul-30-2013 9:06:18 BST
    Bid now | Add to watch list

More...

Ok so we have 11 listings for current threads, but thanks to this asshole we are now down to 10?

Blog Entries

This "asshole", as you wrongly call him, is what keeps the site running, or would you rather that Marc paid for this out of his own pocket?

It is all explained in the "Forum Announcements"

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads...rtising-update

Lol well that's rather awkward isn't it?

Firstly I'm on the defensive because I'm sick of people using this place as a self promotion tool ONLY - which has been a recent issue.

Secondly I never saw that forum announcement, do 'new features' posts appear in the current posts list? I notice only old time regulars responded to that thread, so I will assume this never appeared in current threads and was placed in those section things - which is a current issue.

I've got quite an imagination, but the plot tells me the original bunch of forumites like things the way they are, things have always been that way. The owner of the site is prompting questions for change. Some of us are trying to point out the way forward. The resistance is obvious, meanwhile Marc politely backs away and continues to fork out. Is he protecting your interests at his own expense?

You have to swing one way or the other. Keep it for yourselves and wilt, or accept change and move forward.

I'm only after a useful experience, I don't like coming here getting pissed at people for abusing the place, that's admins concern. Dud posts and one time wonders don't help my experience.

It needs addressing and to be dealt with one way or the other IMO. I make numerous suggestions, now I find myself trying to protect the forum and managing to abuse the owner - somethings gotta be wrong here.

Blog Entries

The point is that we try not to abuse anyone.

There are a few of us "old farts" here but it doesn't mean that we want everything to remain the same. What we want to avoid is this becoming yet another "kool kids" forum where loads of teenagers get stroppy about the merits of a Canon 7D verses the Red, when in fact they don't even use a GoPro. There are plenty of forums for Kids making skateboarding and biking videos, this is (as I understand it) for those who want to do that little bit more. Even if it's family videos or experimenting with different things. My personal opinion is that this forum should avoid becoming too "pro" and should be geared towards the keen enthusiast, but others may disagree. I know that Marc does not want it to become yet another forum filled with 14 year old wannabees and ego-strokers.

Your supposition that "the original bunch of forumites like things the way they are, things have always been that way" is wrong, but you've not been here long enough to have seen the changes in the forum. Sound bites such as "Keep it for yourselves and wilt, or accept change and move forward." sound good in media studies classes but are actually often completely wrong.

Now, for the forum to continue, we will accept that some things will have to change, such as accepting feeds from ebay. (It seems that the "old farts" can accept this change, we're not the ones getting stroppy about it) However "new" does not always mean "better". There are hundreds of bankrupt companies who jumped onto the internet bandwagon, only to find that it was built on bubbles. The BBC has had to accept that the "bright young things" who were bought in to "liven up" the corporation have cost millions and achieved nothing. Sky won't even go down the "new media" route. So, before you get insulting to the older members remember. We are the regulars. We are the ones answering the same questions again and again. If you don't like coming here and "getting pissed at people" then don't come.

As for Marc "protecting your interests at his own expense", that's quite an insulting accusation. Maybe it's a case of Marc also having the same interests and doing his best to see that the forum stays as he likes it and doesn't become "trendy" "cool" and boring to anyone with a brain.

Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    As for Marc "protecting your interests at his own expense", that's quite an insulting accusation.
    I never been to media school, but I have perception and empathy.

Marc has stated that hits are dropping - that's wilting.

Marc has asked for, and put forward ideas for change, each time dismissed by the regulars, every time with the statements that we like the way it is thanks.

Really, you did a good impression of everything I talked about didn't you?

At the same time you let these 'kids' run roughshod over your forum and disrespect it and you, but you bark at me for talking out loud?

Really? Start sticking up for yourselves, I don't appreciate you taking it out on me - that's plain bullying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Secondly I never saw that forum announcement, do 'new features' posts appear in the current posts list? I notice only old time regulars responded to that thread, so I will assume this never appeared in current threads and was placed in those section things - which is a current issue.
    I've just posted a new thread in "Froum Anouncements" It appears under "New Posts". Unless Marc has changed something in the meantime, I guess you must have missed the announcement.

I will assume this never appeared in current threads and was placed in those section things - which is a current issue.
    Why do you say it's a current issue? Marc is considering reorganising "those section things" but there has been no suggestion that the "New Posts" method of navigating should be removed. One or two people have suggested that the list of new posts is expanded from 10 to maybe 50 which seems perfectly sensible. Unless I've missed something I haven't seen anyone object - so I would expect that Marc will implement this so long as it has no detrimental effect on anything else.

Some of us are trying to point out the way forward. The resistance is obvious
    I really don't see what has brought this on. It is natural that people find one way of working and unless there's good reason would want to stick with it. Neverteless I haven't seen any resistance to change. Marc suggested some changes - others have made some further suggestions.

The only resistance I may have shown is my resistance to you suggesting getting rid of the sections. I did two things. 1 I tried to see whether your way of navigating could work for me and 2 I explained why working with sections works better for me (as it might work better for some others as well). So, I have a preference for working within the sections. You have a preference for working via "New Posts". They are not exclusive - a point I made in one of my posts and so far no-one has suggested a benefit in getting rid of either so I vote they stay - that's not resistance to change. That's common sense.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Sorry chaps, been on "holiday" to the Isle of Wight and off the radar. ("Holiday" as my daughter decided not to sleep for a week). Happy to increase the new posts on the forum index to 20 posts. Is that sensible?