Thread: error exporting movie to hard disk

Default error exporting movie to hard disk

i cannot export a film from premier pro to my hard drives. I have one internal with 30 gigs of space left and one external drive with around 40 gigs left on it. Premier keeps coming up with the error box saying error compiling movie disc full. I have succesfully exported to tape and to DVD but would like to export it to my hardrive. any help much appreciated.

What file system type are you exporting to? NTFS or FAT32? make sure it is NTFS as FAT32 has a file size limit and this may be your problem. Just guessing.

How far in the export do you get this error? Immediately or soem time through the export?

Adobe do not officially support external HDDs. You should have no problems with a modern PC but use an internal drive before you start thinking about talking to Adobe.

Make sure your HDDs are defragmented properly.

thanks for that. the file system is FAT32 I think and it stops after about 10 mins, i have exported smaller films to hardrive but this is 23mins.
    My PC is only 10 months old and is AMD Athlon 64, 3.2 gig with 1 gig memory and 200 gig hard drive. Could I change it to NTFS in the BIOS?

cheers

s

Quote Originally Posted by jak1
    thanks for that. the file system is FAT32 I think and it stops after about 10 mins, i have exported smaller films to hardrive but this is 23mins.
    That would be the problem then.
    My PC is only 10 months old and is AMD Athlon 64, 3.2 gig with 1 gig memory and 200 gig hard drive. Could I change it to NTFS in the BIOS?
    I've never had to do this (so I'm more than happy to be corrected) but I suspect it's a case of reformatting it as NTFS. Make sure you back everything up first.

Blog Entries

You can convert within Windows, but I wouldn't recommend this.

it works fine in my experience, but it's one of those "hold your breath" moments.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Will have to make back ups and do some tidying up before i try that out

I have a 25 minute film that i need to convert to MPEG so i can use it in Sony Architect as part of a menu based DVD, I have been exporting to disc then transfering the AVI to MPEG but with smaller films no longer than ten mins. Can I do this succesfully with Premiers media encoder do you think, but i suppose i will have the same problems with file size limitations.

ste

I had the same issues using a P4 2.6g running Win2000.

As you have the Fat32 file system are you using Win98 or ME...NTFS is a much better file system to be using in the long run if youre using Win2000 or XP.

The error about there not being enough space is generally not a space issue at all...but where Premiere is trying to create Scratch disks is not accessible.

As a trial solution you can try the following. This worked fine for Premiere 6.5 on Win2K

Create a folder and call it something like Scratch Folder
    Right click on the new folder and select Properties
    For Win2000 and possibly XP there will be a Sharing tab, click this Sharing tab
    You may see that the default option of Do Not Share this Folder has been selected
    Select the Share this Folder radio button, click Apply and then Ok

You should now see a small hand appear underneath the folder indicating that it has been shared. Now before you try compiling your film, you need to set all Scratch locations in Premiere to this folder. You'll find this under Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks and Device Control. In each of the 3 drop down menus click Select Folder, navigate to the folder and click OK.

Now try compiling your film. There is another workaround which I'll post later if this doesnt work. There are also some issues with the Fat32 file system and large file sizes. You may need to reduce the size of your film...maybe cutting it in half, and exporting 2 pieces that can later be joined with an AVI/MPEG joiner.

Let me know how you go! Oh...and sharing folders is not the safest option for security reasons...dont put anything in here like credit card numbers..hehe!

hey cheers for that. It has worked, just going to try and upload some stuff also as it used to stop aftre around ten minutes so i had to do it ten min chunks. But I assume that will be okay also.

thanks

ste